July 24 2014 Latest news:
By John Elworthy
Monday, February 11, 2013
NOT only did his front porch get the thumbs down but Phillip Robinson fell out with planners over a rear extension, too, and both must come down, says East Cambs Council.
Planning officer Scott Jackson says the rear extension is “considered to constitute a non neighbourly form of development” and has created a significant of amenity space.
One neighbour in particular, said Mr Jackson, was suffering an “overbearing impact” following the rear extension and exacerbated by differences in ground levels.
As for the porch he could find little to like about it, claiming its “width, height, scale and external finishes” simply won’t wash with the community.
A decision on both extensions came at last week’s planning committee of East Cambs District Council: councillors inspected the site at 7 The Hythe, Littleport, before reaching their decision.
Littleport Parish Council was among a number opposed to the application and was critical of Mr Robinson for not agreeing drawings before starting work.
“We understand the works were almost complete before any planning application was made or inspected by building control,” said Councillor Terry Lee, chairman of the parish council planning committee.
“There is a serious complaint (not considered) by an affected neighbour and a ‘no more development covenant’ on the site,” he told his East Cambs colleagues.
His committee originally looked at the issue before they were fully aware of all the facts and were now opposed to it.
Cllr Lee said the parish council felt “all retrospective planning applications should be rigorously opposed as most are contentious applications which would have been refused in the normal course”.