Blaze at builders merchants in Wisbech was an accident says Cambridgeshire fire service
13:46 12 July 2013
FIRE chiefs described a blaze at a builders’ merchants today – which was quickly brought under control- as an accident.
Crews from Wisbech, March and Long Sutton were soon on the scene after a large quantity of insulation caught fire at Edwards Buildbase in Elm Road, Wisbech.
Matt Murdoch, Wisbech station commander, said: “A large amount of sheet insulation was well alight when we arrived and was in very close proximity to an adjacent warehouse.
“Without the quick interventions from the Wisbech crews who were first on the scene, the fire would have easily spread into the building and possibly even the nearby motorcycle shop.”
He added: “The cause of the fire is accidental, believed to have been an incinerator.”
Firefighters extinguished the fire at 1.40pm and crews returned to their stations by 2.35pm.
A fire service spokesman described the blaze as being “in the open and located next to a building, measuring 25m by 10m, which is heavily smoke logged.
“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus are using hose reels and jets to extinguish the fire.”