Botched attempt to clear bee nest from top of chimney causes fire in Manea

PUBLISHED: 11:35 19 May 2014 | UPDATED: 12:23 19 May 2014

Archant

Firefighters battled for more than four hours to tackle a chimney fire on Sunday after a home owner’s attempt to clear a bee nest from the top of her chimney went wrong.

One crew from Chatteris was called to a chimney fire in High Street, Manea, at 11.20am.

A bee nest had been at the top of a chimney and the owner had started to light a fire to clear it, but caused a chimney fire.

A fire service spokesman said: “Waxy conditions in the chimney, owing to the bee nest, made it very difficult for crews to extinguish it. A turntable ladder from Cambridge was called to assist the operation.

“Firefighters extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 4pm.”

Station commander Richard Dykes said: “If homeowners discover a bee or wasp nest in their chimney or at the top of it, we would urge them to get it inspected and removed by a professional.

“Lighting fires is not an effective way to clear these nests and we would encourage people not to do this.”

More news stories

The county council says it will make the Traffic Commissioners aware of a major investigation being undertaken into the Fenland Association of Community Transport (FACT) when they decide on whether to allow them operator licences to run commercial services through new limited companies.

18:26

‘Houston we have a problem’ admitted county councillor Bill Hunt, vice chairman of the county council highways and community infrastructure, when he offered a public apology today for the number of potholes across Cambridgeshire.

These fantastic images show a B-52 Stratofortress being refuelled over the North Sea by a KC-135 tanker from RAF Mildenhall.

Police who were called to question a suspected burglar discovered £140,000 worth of cannabis in the same house.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter