Botched attempt to clear bee nest from top of chimney causes fire in Manea

PUBLISHED: 11:35 19 May 2014 | UPDATED: 12:23 19 May 2014

Archant

Firefighters battled for more than four hours to tackle a chimney fire on Sunday after a home owner’s attempt to clear a bee nest from the top of her chimney went wrong.

One crew from Chatteris was called to a chimney fire in High Street, Manea, at 11.20am.

A bee nest had been at the top of a chimney and the owner had started to light a fire to clear it, but caused a chimney fire.

A fire service spokesman said: “Waxy conditions in the chimney, owing to the bee nest, made it very difficult for crews to extinguish it. A turntable ladder from Cambridge was called to assist the operation.

“Firefighters extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 4pm.”

Station commander Richard Dykes said: “If homeowners discover a bee or wasp nest in their chimney or at the top of it, we would urge them to get it inspected and removed by a professional.

“Lighting fires is not an effective way to clear these nests and we would encourage people not to do this.”

More news stories

Whittlesey Town Council voted unanimously to oppose proposals for 60 homes south east of 208 Coates Road, Coates, claiming schools can’t cope with the additional numbers.

11:23

Revellers were treated to a trip back in time last weekend at the annual Festival of the Forties in March.

Salaries of senior staff to be recruited to the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority headed by Mayor James Palmer will be unveiled this week.

12:04

Arsonists set fire to a car in North Bank, Whittlesey overnight.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter