Botched attempt to clear bee nest from top of chimney causes fire in Manea

11:35 19 May 2014

Archant

Firefighters battled for more than four hours to tackle a chimney fire on Sunday after a home owner’s attempt to clear a bee nest from the top of her chimney went wrong.

One crew from Chatteris was called to a chimney fire in High Street, Manea, at 11.20am.

A bee nest had been at the top of a chimney and the owner had started to light a fire to clear it, but caused a chimney fire.

A fire service spokesman said: “Waxy conditions in the chimney, owing to the bee nest, made it very difficult for crews to extinguish it. A turntable ladder from Cambridge was called to assist the operation.

“Firefighters extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 4pm.”

Station commander Richard Dykes said: “If homeowners discover a bee or wasp nest in their chimney or at the top of it, we would urge them to get it inspected and removed by a professional.

“Lighting fires is not an effective way to clear these nests and we would encourage people not to do this.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

12:00
Richmond Fellowship Health and Wellbeing Fair at March Town Hall. Isle college students working on nail bar.Picture: Steve Williams.

A national charity devoted to supporting people with mental health problems held a health and well being fair at March.

Chairman of govenors Ben Gibbs and principal Catherine Jekinson-Dix have both resigned.

The entire governing body of Ely College was dissolved at a special meeting on Thursday – hours before the principal and two vice principals also announced they were leaving.

09:00
long serving employee Mick Oakey who retires after 37 years.Mick with his retirement cake.Picture: Steve Williams.

A company stalwart has decided to call it a day after 37 years ... so it was only fitting for him to be thrown a leaving do on Wednesday.

Yesterday, 14:42
Ciaran Brown, cup stacker

When you watch the video, you think it must have been speeded up ... but Ciaran Brown really is that quick.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition today E-edition