Botched attempt to clear bee nest from top of chimney causes fire in Manea

11:35 19 May 2014

Archant

Firefighters battled for more than four hours to tackle a chimney fire on Sunday after a home owner’s attempt to clear a bee nest from the top of her chimney went wrong.

One crew from Chatteris was called to a chimney fire in High Street, Manea, at 11.20am.

A bee nest had been at the top of a chimney and the owner had started to light a fire to clear it, but caused a chimney fire.

A fire service spokesman said: “Waxy conditions in the chimney, owing to the bee nest, made it very difficult for crews to extinguish it. A turntable ladder from Cambridge was called to assist the operation.

“Firefighters extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 4pm.”

Station commander Richard Dykes said: “If homeowners discover a bee or wasp nest in their chimney or at the top of it, we would urge them to get it inspected and removed by a professional.

“Lighting fires is not an effective way to clear these nests and we would encourage people not to do this.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 16:59
Tipped up Tipper lorry, Gaul road . March. Picture: Steve Williams.

A tipper lorry making a delivery of ballast to a building site in Gaul Road, March, today overturned, sending scaffolding crashing to the ground.

Yesterday, 16:45
Mrs Gray's parking fine letter implying she stayed in Lidl's car park for nearly five times over the free parking duration

A March woman is “absolutely gobsmacked” having wrongly received a £90 parking fine.

Yesterday, 15:39
Flashback to last summer when tenants were told of the delays to the Sanctuary Housing scheme in Gaul road. Picture: Steve Williams.

Stressed families have been let down yet again on a moving date for an estate of new homes in March.

Yesterday, 15:24
Pepper, from March, is among hundreds of dogs saved by the current Fenland dog warden who runs Ravenswood Pet Rescue, which makes sure dogs are not put down on day eight

Disposal of stray dogs is in a contract that has gone out to tender by Fenland District Council.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition