Bridge closure “unnecessary” says councillor but county insist contractors are there but underneath it and therefore not visible

PUBLISHED: 17:13 14 March 2014 | UPDATED: 17:14 14 March 2014

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

Archant

A councillor says motorists are facing unnecessary traffic chaos in Wisbech after the town bridge was closed despite no work being done.

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams. Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

The county council, however, say contractors are busy on site, but they are underneath the bridge which is why people think nothing is going on.

Fenland District Councillor Dave Patrick said two skips and a work cabin was set up along with road blocks on the Old Town Bridge almost two weeks ago.

Since then however, he has not seen any work carried out.

“An unnecessary burden is being put on the motorists in Wisbech by the unnecessary closure of the bridge,” said Mr Patrick.

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams. Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

“If work is being done then fine but if not then why on earth has it been closed off.

“At peak times it is a nightmare driving round town.”

A county council spokesman said the 10-week project had seen work carried out by contractor Breheny from Mondays to Fridays within suitable times.

Work cannot be carried out during high tides and not at weekends to prevent noise nuisance to two hotels and local residents, he said.

Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams. Wisbech Town bridge closed for works, Picture: Steve Williams.

“We checked and yes work has been carried out - but people cannot see it as they are underneath the bridge,” a spokesman said.

The work is the fourth phase of helping protect Wisbech from flooding and is part of a £350,000 project.

The work is designed to maintain the retaining wall flood defence on South Brink, Nene Quay.

At the same time the County Council is taking the opportunity to complete bridge repairs on the Town Bridge, carry out local highway improvements and road resurfacing.

To enable work to be completed as quickly as possible, the Town Bridge will be closed to traffic and pedestrians for 10 weeks from March 3. Signed diversions for walkers and drivers will be in place.

Tell us what you think. Email the editor john.elworthy@archant.co.uk.

More news stories

17:18

‘Houston we have a problem’ admitted county councillor Bill Hunt, vice chairman of the county council highways and community infrastructure, when he offered a public apology today for the number of potholes across Cambridgeshire.

Mayor James Palmer and his deputy, Councillor Charles Roberts, were debating tonight whether to press the Prime Minister to allow the Bayeux tapestry to go on display in Ely.

Arthur Rank Hospice’s £10.5million home at Shelford Bottom was officially opened today by His Royal Highness, The Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward.

Schools across East Cambridgeshire and Fenland will from today be able to apply for up to £25,000 to help some of their most disadvantaged pupils.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter