September 17 2014 Latest news:
Kath Sansom, .
Friday, March 14, 2014
A councillor says motorists are facing unnecessary traffic chaos in Wisbech after the town bridge was closed despite no work being done.
The county council, however, say contractors are busy on site, but they are underneath the bridge which is why people think nothing is going on.
Fenland District Councillor Dave Patrick said two skips and a work cabin was set up along with road blocks on the Old Town Bridge almost two weeks ago.
Since then however, he has not seen any work carried out.
“An unnecessary burden is being put on the motorists in Wisbech by the unnecessary closure of the bridge,” said Mr Patrick.
“If work is being done then fine but if not then why on earth has it been closed off.
“At peak times it is a nightmare driving round town.”
A county council spokesman said the 10-week project had seen work carried out by contractor Breheny from Mondays to Fridays within suitable times.
Work cannot be carried out during high tides and not at weekends to prevent noise nuisance to two hotels and local residents, he said.
“We checked and yes work has been carried out - but people cannot see it as they are underneath the bridge,” a spokesman said.
The work is the fourth phase of helping protect Wisbech from flooding and is part of a £350,000 project.
The work is designed to maintain the retaining wall flood defence on South Brink, Nene Quay.
At the same time the County Council is taking the opportunity to complete bridge repairs on the Town Bridge, carry out local highway improvements and road resurfacing.
To enable work to be completed as quickly as possible, the Town Bridge will be closed to traffic and pedestrians for 10 weeks from March 3. Signed diversions for walkers and drivers will be in place.
Tell us what you think. Email the editor email@example.com.