Build up of grease and fat causes fire at Rumbles fish and chip bar in Chatteris

PUBLISHED: 11:11 19 June 2017 | UPDATED: 11:11 19 June 2017

Police and the fire service were called to West Park Street in Chatteris on Friday after a fire at Rumbles fish and chip shop.

Police and the fire service were called to West Park Street in Chatteris on Friday after a fire at Rumbles fish and chip shop.

Archant

A warning has been issued after a build up of grease and fat led to a fire spreading to the roof of Rumbles fish and chip bar in Chatteris on Friday night.

“Firefighters arrived to find a well-developed fire on the ground floor of a chip shop in West Park Street, which was spreading quickly to other parts of the building, including the roof,” said a Cambs Fire spokesman.

Station commander Pete Jones, the officer in charge of the incident, said: “The fire developed very quickly due to the build-up of grease and fat from the fryers.

“Once the fire got into the vents, it spread to other parts of the building and into the roof space.

“It is important for any food preparation business to ensure the filters and the vents are cleaned regularly to ensure no fat or grease builds up.

“These deposits, if left over time, can present a significant risk of fire spread.”

Crews from Chatteris, March, Ramsey and Huntingdon were called to the blaze on West Park Street at around 8pm.

Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 10.20pm.

Police were also called to the scene and closed off the road.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 16:27

Members of Fenland District and Benwick Parish councils gathered with project partners and villagers as excited school children got to try out the £115,000 play park for the first time on Friday, June 16.

Yesterday, 12:14

Mike Petty, a research historian with expert knowledge of River Great Ouse and drainage of the Fens, shared some of his research with The March Society in an enjoyable talk.

Yesterday, 11:00

Dozens of guests helped mark the opening of a new and innovative funeral home in Wisbech.

Fri, 18:00

Glastonbury Festival came to a pre-school in March on Friday, complete with a mud field, live music stages, campfire, face-painting, photo booth, paddling pool and even a pet enclosure.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter