Build up of grease and fat causes fire at Rumbles fish and chip bar in Chatteris

PUBLISHED: 11:11 19 June 2017 | UPDATED: 11:11 19 June 2017

Police and the fire service were called to West Park Street in Chatteris on Friday after a fire at Rumbles fish and chip shop.

Police and the fire service were called to West Park Street in Chatteris on Friday after a fire at Rumbles fish and chip shop.

Archant

A warning has been issued after a build up of grease and fat led to a fire spreading to the roof of Rumbles fish and chip bar in Chatteris on Friday night.

“Firefighters arrived to find a well-developed fire on the ground floor of a chip shop in West Park Street, which was spreading quickly to other parts of the building, including the roof,” said a Cambs Fire spokesman.

Station commander Pete Jones, the officer in charge of the incident, said: “The fire developed very quickly due to the build-up of grease and fat from the fryers.

“Once the fire got into the vents, it spread to other parts of the building and into the roof space.

“It is important for any food preparation business to ensure the filters and the vents are cleaned regularly to ensure no fat or grease builds up.

“These deposits, if left over time, can present a significant risk of fire spread.”

Crews from Chatteris, March, Ramsey and Huntingdon were called to the blaze on West Park Street at around 8pm.

Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the fire and returned to their stations by 10.20pm.

Police were also called to the scene and closed off the road.

More news stories

09:24

Environment Secretary Michael Gove has launched the government’s first tree health strategy following on from his visit to Ely yesterday.

29 minutes ago

A court battle was signalled after the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Fire Authority agreed to challenge the Home Office decision to allow police and crime commissioner Jason Ablewhite to seize control.

11:51

Work to resurface 42 miles of road in Cambridgeshire will start next week.

11:12

Local fire crews have issued a warning to ensure homeowners get their chimney swept after a fire in Doddington last night (Thursday May 24).

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Cambs Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter