Chatteris couple fail in their bid to have agricultural condition lifted - despite not farming for past 26 years!

PUBLISHED: 16:18 10 April 2014 | UPDATED: 16:18 10 April 2014

Andrew Behagg

Andrew Behagg

Archant

A couple failed in their bid to have an agricultural occupancy restriction lifted on their bungalow – despite neither of them having worked in farming for 26 years.

Andrew and Linda Behagg have been refused permission to have the condition lifted – which could affect its price should they wish to sell- by Fenland District Council.

The council has told them that they have provided insufficient evidence to show their bungalow had been marketed with its agricultural restriction and had failed to conclusively prove the absence of any farming activity for the past 10 years.

“Were this evidence available, the most appropriate approach would be via an application for a lawful development certificate for an existing use,” suggested the council in their reasons for refusing the application.

Geoff Brinton of Maxey Grounds, the Behaggs agent, told the council that the couple’s home at 138 London Road had been built in 1978/79 by Mrs Behagg’s father, Ray, a former Fenland, Chatteris and Cambridgeshire councillor, who lived near door.

Mr Brinton said Mrs Behagg had at one time looked after the cattle herd owned by her father but following poor harvests in the early 80s, the entire herd was sold in 1984 to meet banking commitments.

He said Mr Behagg later went to work with a large manufacturing business and since 1988 neither had worked in either farming or forestry – the conditions attached to the original planning applications.

“In the circumstances and given the time scales we would respectfully ask that serious consideration be given to lift the agricultural restriction,” said Mr Brinton.

Despite winning support from the town council, planning officers said neither Mr nor Mrs Behagg had addressed the “shortfalls” in their application.

“The applicants have failed to provide further supporting information within the time frame,” said a report by the council’s development team.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

More news stories

Yesterday, 16:52

One of Cambridgeshire’s most influential business leaders –chamber of commerce chief executive John Bridge – claims that re-opening of the Wisbech to March rail link is a lame duck.

Yesterday, 16:54

The Light Cinema, Wisbech, closed temporarily after what bosses say was a “small fire safety related issue”. It re-opens at 6pm tonight (Saturday)

Yesterday, 14:38

Voters in March get an extra chance to go the ballot box this year following approval for a referendum on a planning document that could revolutionise decision making locally.

Yesterday, 14:34

One of Britain’s biggest trade unions - the GMB – has condemned the 30 per cent pay rise for councillors that Cambridgeshire County Council voted through this week.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter