Christchurch unveils its plans for new village hall as Fenland Council confirms £100,000 still available to help build it

11:43 05 August 2014

Proposed drawing for new village hall, Christchurch.

Proposed drawing for new village hall, Christchurch.

Archant

Christchurch is hoping to have its new village hall up and running by the New Year – and Fenland Council has confirmed it will help to pay for it.

There were fears that £100,000 allocated three years by then council leader Alan Melton as part of a £600,000 package for rural villages might not still be available.

But this week, as plans for the new hall finally went out for public consultation, new leader John Clark confirmed the money was still available.

“I’ve checked with officers and yes the £100,000 is in the capital programme to the Christchurch hall,” he said.

It means with an expected £100,000 from parish councillor and developer Wes Poole who bought the old hall and with money from the sale of building plots, the £325,000 cost can be met.

Morton & Hall Consulting of March has submitted plans for the hall to Fenland Council which show it being built on the site of the bowling club in Upwell Road.

The company says the hall will be available for weddings and birthdays, craft and garden clubs, indoor bowls and the WI. But it will also be able to host outdoor bowls and junior football.

Originally the village hoped to replace the memorial hall – closed on safety grounds earlier this year- but once a land swap deal was scuppered those hopes diminished.

Cllr Poole’s agent Peter Humphrey successfully applied for a housing development behind the old memorial hall three years ago.

Mr Humphrey had pointed out that Cllr Poole “has, in taking the land into the proposed development site, contributed significantly to the funds for the construction of the new hall proposed for the village.

“Additionally he proposes, on completion of a satisfactory planning permission for the proposed development, to make further direct financial contribution to assist in the completion of the new hall project.”

A survey of villagers eight years ago showed nearly half (47 per cent) favoured refurbishing the existing hall and only a quarter (26 per cent) liked the idea of linking it with the sports pavilion.

The same survey showed very few villagers (6 per cent) would volunteer to help run the new hall wherever it was sited.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Saturday, April 30, 2016
Tory candidate for police commissioner Jason Ablewhite responds to questions at a hustings event in Wisbech. On his left is Nick Clarke, the UKIP candidate

Tory candidate Jason Ablewhite last night described critics attacking him over comments he posted on his Facebook page six years ago as being “desperate to muck rack”.

Yesterday, 11:54
Rev Jenny Webb

Love every neighbour is the theme of events for this year’s Christian Aid week being organised by Churches Together in March.

Saturday, April 30, 2016
Operation Edison, Cambridgeshire Police conduct the last of 4 warrants searching for drugs., 
Ely, Littleport, 
29/04/2016
Picture by Terry Harris.

Yet more arrests were made in Littleport as the curtain came down on East Cambridgeshire Police’s latest operation in their crackdown on drug related crime - Operation Edison.

Saturday, April 30, 2016
Police arrest a suspect (Mr Ian Clarke ) on for the offences of possessing class A and class B drugs  Operation Edison, Cambridgeshire Police conduct drug warrants at various addresses in Cambridgeshire,
71 Heron Croft, Soham
28/04/2016. 
Picture by Terry Harris.

A man was arrested in Soham last Thursday for possession of a class A and B drugs, alongside handling stolen goods as part of East Cambridgeshire Police’s latest crack-down.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up