Committee says no action needed on ‘tit for tat’ ‘schoolboys in a playground’ ‘waste of time and taxpayers’ money’ complaint

18:00 12 July 2014

Steve Tierney reading the Wisbech Standard. Picture: Steve Williams.

Steve Tierney reading the Wisbech Standard. Picture: Steve Williams.

Archant

No action will be taken against a Conservative town councillor who filmed a UKIP county councillor during a Wisbech Town Council meeting.

Fenland District Council conduct committee dismissed a complaint against Councillor Steve Tierney brought by UKIP councillor Alan Lay, his colleague Councillor Paul Clapp and independent town and district councillor Dave Patrick.

The complaint stemmed from on May 19 after Cllr Tierney began filming Cllr Alan Lay on his mobile phone as he started to speak.

The argument was defused by the mayor and, after his intervention, Cllr Tierney stopped.

Cllr Patrick had claimed the filming had been done “intentionally to intimidate and try to embarrass Cllr Lay”.

But conduct committee member Councillor Will Sutton said that since Cllr Tierney had obeyed the chairman’s order to stop filming, the issue had been dealt with and there was no need to take things further.

Independent member Anne Hay described the complaint as “tit-for-tat” and compared the conduct of the councillors involved to “schoolboys in a playground”.

Councillor Fred Yeulett described the complaint as a “waste of the committee’s time and taxpayers’ money”.

But independent councillor Rob Skoulding argued Cllr Tierney had shown a “lack of respect” and that a proper investigation, including an examination of the mobile phone footage, was necessary to see how intrusive it was.

Councillor Nigel Russell, while sharing Cllr Skoulding’s view that a “lack of respect” had been shown, felt the issue had been dealt with because Cllr Tierney had agreed to stop filming.

The meeting was chaired by Wisbech district councillor Sam Hoy who acknowledged her links to Cllr Tierney but said this would not affect her impartiality.

She did, however, abstain from the vote which saw only Cllr Skoulding arguing that more action was necessary.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

Yesterday, 16:47
Pc David Littlemore. Picture: John O'Reilly.

Two policemen who assaulted a partially sighted man as he sat on a park bench with his dog in Peterborough narrowly escaped going to prison today.

Yesterday, 21:33

A 16 year-old youth has been left with severe head injuries after he was attacked tonight in Sutton near Ely.

Yesterday, 15:24
Mohammed Ahmed Miah.

A gang of fraudsters who swindled elderly and vulnerable victims across the country - including in Elm and March - out of £177,000 by claiming to be police officers have been jailed for a total of more than 10 years.

Yesterday, 15:02
Andrew Mattless helped run Wisbech Sea Cadets

A Wisbech paedophile who worked with young people in the town for three years without a police check, is among 101 people taken to court since David Cameron announced a crackdown on child porn.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition today E-edition