May 25 2013 Latest news:
Story by: ROB SETCHELL, Reporter
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
A WOMAN was rescued by her neighbours after she collapsed in the doorway of her burning Whittlesey home on New Year’s Eve.
The 29-year-old was hauled from the blaze, which started in the kitchen of her house in Crescent Road at about 3.25pm.
Fire broke out after a basket of clothing, which had been left on top of the hob, caught alight. The hob had been accidentally turned on.
Neighbours had already rescued the woman by the time two fire crews arrived. Firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used one extinguisher to put out the blaze.
The kitchen was badly smoke damaged and the electrics were affected. The woman was treated for smoke inhalation.
Andy Tucker, risk manager at Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue, said: “We would remind residents to always keep the cooker and hob area clear.
“Sometimes these can be turned on accidentally and it can have disastrous consequences. Be safe by always turning sockets off at the wall.”