Family lose everything in New Year’s Day house fire

17:00 03 January 2013

At The Avenue, Ramsey, is (left) Jenny Edwards with son Dominic Edwards and (right) friend Jodie Garratt, after the house fire

At The Avenue, Ramsey, is (left) Jenny Edwards with son Dominic Edwards and (right) friend Jodie Garratt, after the house fire

Archant

A SINGLE mum and her three children have been left destitute, after a fire ripped through their home on New Year’s Day.

Jenny Edwards, who had just moved into her home in The Avenue, Ramsey, with her son and two daughters, lost all her furniture and clothes in the blaze. Her children lost almost all their toys and Christmas presents.

Jenny said: “I took an £800 loan out to pay for Christmas, but we have lost everything I bought, the Christmas tree, a dining table and chairs, and the children’s Christmas presents.”

Jenny’s aunt, Susan Edwards, said: “It is such a tragedy. She had saved and saved, but has lost everything and will now have to start again from scratch.

“I think the only things that can be salvaged will be some kitchen equipment. Jenny is really distraught, she is in bits. She keeps thinking that we could have been arranging funerals this week.

“Fortunately the children were not in the house, they were staying with grandparents. The family is now rallying round to try to find them some clothes and the council will be housing them until new accommodation can be found.”

Jenny had been out with friends on New Year’s Eve. At about 6am on New Year’s Day a friend staying overnight heard the smoke alarm and went to investigate.

Susan said: “He found the lounge completely alight and called to Jenny to get out.

“Another friend who had been sleeping on the settee in the lounge could not be found at first. The friend who found the fire went back inside and found the woman in the dining room.

“She was dragged outside and was unconscious and fitting. Her rescuer suffered burned legs and they were both taken to hospital.”

Susan also said: “We think the fire was caused by a faulty lamp.”

Anyone able to help Jenny and her family are asked to call on 077323 13927.

0 comments

More news stories

Ambulance

A man in his seventies made an emergency landing in his light aircraft on a grass airfield near March yesterday.

43 minutes ago
Big wild sleep out at Thorney

Spend a starry night in Thorney by joining wildlife experts for a wild camping experience at Park Farm.

17:25
Great Britain celebrate winning gold in the 4 x 400 metres Relay final at the 1991 World Championships held at the Olympic Stadium, in Tokyo, Japan.

A photographer has recreated an iconic image of four athletes who won gold in the world championships in 1991 during a photo shoot at Peterborough.

14:48
Paul and Maria Nielsen Bom of Henson Road March are opening their garden

Green fingered garden lovers are invited to tour two March gardens this weekend.

Most read stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition today E-edition