GALLERY: Colin raises the flag as Sutton Bridge Golf Club celebrates 100th birthday
PUBLISHED: 10:29 21 February 2014 | UPDATED: 10:29 21 February 2014
A golf club’s longest serving playing member had the honour of raising a centenary flag to launch a year of celebrations.
More than 60 past and present members came together to celebrate Sutton Bridge Golf Club’s landmark anniversary year.
Members looked on as the flag was raised by Colin Seymour, who joined the club in 1947.
Sutton Bridge Golf Club’s first meeting was held at the Bridge Hotel on February 18, 1914.
Brian Bowser, the grandson of Charles Bowser, one of the club’s founding members, unveiled a plaque later in the day.
Guests also enjoyed a display charting the rise of the club through the years and tucked into a meal prepared by club professional Anthony Lowther and his wife Sharon.
Men’s captain John Caney said: “There was a really good turnout of past and present members and relatives of the founders.
“Many thanks to Anthony and Sharon, who took care of the catering.”
Other events planned this year are a par three competition in April and a commemorative dinner on May 3. There will also be a centenary cup competition in July.
A book written by club member Norman Davis about the club’s centenary has sold more than 200 copies and the ladies section have produced an embroidered mural.
The golf course has a fascinating history - it is built in and around an abandoned late 19th century dock basin adjacent to the River Nene.
In 1881, Sutton Bridge Port completed the dock basin but, shortly after it was opened, the dock walls collapsed and two large pumping engines sank into the running silt.
The basin was abandoned for 30 years until villagers decided to turn it into a golf course.
The original walls of the dock basin still form an integral part of the course.
The club, which has 200 members, hosts the Lincolnshire Nine Hole Club Championship each year and has been chosen to host this year’s regional final for the national competition.
The course has been beautifully maintained by the Norton family since 1953.
Its clubhouse was completed in 1996 and, more recently, a new practice ground and driving range have been developed.
• If you would like to become a lady member, call ladies president Jenny Wells on 01406 365490.
• Norman Davis’ book is available at £12 from Mr Davis on 01945 582447 or from behind the bar at the golf club on 01406 350323.