GALLERY: March man says smoke alarm saved his life after fire destroys home

17:14 30 May 2014

Bungalow fire at Kelsey Way, March. Picture: Steve Williams.

Bungalow fire at Kelsey Way, March. Picture: Steve Williams.

Archant

An elderly man says his smoke alarm saved his life after a fire ripped through his bungalow on Wednesday.

Thomas Lowe’s bungalow in Kelsey Way, March, suffered serious damage in the fire, which was caused by an electrical gas boiler fault.

But, thanks to his smoke alarm, Thomas Lowe was able to get out in time unharmed.

He said: “If anyone takes the batteries out of their smoke alarm they are mad. It saved my life.

“When it went off I thought ‘that annoying thing’ but when I saw smoke coming out of the ceiling I realised what was going on.”

One crew from March, one crew from Chatteris and one crew from Wisbech were called to the fire at 2.25pm.

Firefighters extinguished the fire and cut away parts of the roof to enable the bungalow to be ventilated before returning to their stations by 4.40pm.

Station Commander Jerome Neville, incident commander, said: “Crews at this incident did a very good job, meaning that although the property has suffered some serious damage, it has not been completely lost.

“There is considerable smoke and heat damage to the majority of the property and unfortunately this was because a lot of the doors in the house were not closed.

“The best way to prevent a fire spreading is to keep the doors of your property closed and we would encourage residents to do this whenever possible and to always have a correctly fitted working smoke alarm.

“This boiler had been serviced recently but let this incident be a timely reminder to homeowners to make sure their boiler is regularly serviced and looked after properly.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

2013: Fields End Water Doddington, new deluxe self catering lodges. official opening by Steve Barclay MP. The site's owners say they will use profits from a housing development to fund the park's expansion.

NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay has thrown his weight behind a businessman’s proposal to build 10 homes that planners say will result in “an incremental erosion of the countryside”.

17:13
Darcie Tegerdine had her head shaved to raised funds for charity.

A community-minded cadet from Whittlesey who went as far as having her head shaved for charity has picked up a prestigious award.

16:45
Breathalyser.

Revellers may be forced to take a breath test to get into pubs and nightclubs as part of a pilot scheme to combat binge drinking.

16:22
Bonnets and bunny egg-stravaganza parade at Park Lane Primary School, Whittlesey.Picture: Steve Williams.

Pupils donned their most spectacular headwear for their school’s Easter bonnet parade.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition today E-edition