GALLERY: Six treated at scene as Wisbech plant evacuated after chemical spill

Chemical incident at Paragon sleeves and cartons Wisbech. Chemical incident at Paragon sleeves and cartons Wisbech.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013
12:57 PM

SIX people were treated by paramedics after a chemical spill at a Wisbech packaging plant today.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Chemical incident at Paragon sleeves and cartons Wisbech.Chemical incident at Paragon sleeves and cartons Wisbech.

Fire crews were called at 11.55am after about 20 litres of solvent and an unknown quantity of water-based inks leaked from a 200-litre drum inside Paragon Labels, Cromwell Road, Wisbech.

The building has been evacuated and a 100-metre cordon set up.

Two fire crews from Wisbech, one from St Neots and the fire service’s hazardous materials crew from St Neots, as well as police and ambulance services, are at the scene.

A fire service spokesman said: “We received reports of a smoking drum container containing chemicals and informed the caller to evacuate building, which they did.

Chemical incident at Paragon sleeves and cartons Wisbech.Chemical incident at Paragon sleeves and cartons Wisbech.

“About 20 litres of solvent and an unknown quantity of water based inks were within a drum which has been taken outside the building.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus are using thermal imaging cameras to monitor the temperature of the drums.

“Fire officers at the scene are working with experts and management at the site to decide the best way to neutralise and dispose of the chemicals.”

“There is no threat to public safety at this time.”

Chemical incident at Paragon sleeves and cartons Wisbech.Chemical incident at Paragon sleeves and cartons Wisbech.

Gary Sanderson, spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service Trust, said six people are being treated by ambulance crews and the trust’s hazardous area response team after they became unwell.

he said: “All six casualties are being treated for breathing problems after it is believed they inhaled vapours escaping from a drum.

“Following further assessments, all six will not be taken to hospital.”

0 comments

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Homes24
Jobs24
Drive24
LocalSearch24
MyDate24
MyPhotos24
FamilyNotices24
Weddingsite

Click here to read more of our digital publications
Book my advert Fenland Enterprise Buisness Awards Wisbech Standard Retailers List

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT