Highways Agency says it will keep traffic moving over the August Bank Holiday weekend

10:12 19 August 2014

Archant

The Highways Agency will be helping holidaymakers have happy holidays by keeping traffic moving over the August Bank Holiday weekend.

About 164 miles of roadworks will be completed before the August Bank Holiday weekend and 110 miles will be suspended between Friday and Tuesday, providing extra lane capacity for holiday traffic.

Highways Agency director of Traffic Management, Simon Sheldon-Wilson, said: “This Bank Holiday weekend, over 98 per cent of motorways and major A-roads in England will be clear of roadworks.

“This will be a great help to people travelling during the holiday – with roadworks lifted, more lanes will be open and many of the associated speed restrictions will also be lifted.

“To help road users, Highways Agency traffic officers and the police will work to clear up any incidents as soon as possible but we advise drivers to check weather and travel conditions before any long journey and make sure they have maintained their vehicles, including trailers and caravans before setting out.”

Drivers can find out about the busiest routes in their region by looking at the agency’s website which shows the holiday hotspot routes over the August Bank Holiday period and the times they are expected to be busiest.

Friday evening and Monday afternoon are expected to be the busiest periods over the Bank Holiday weekend, especially on the main holiday routes, as people set out and return from short breaks or day trips.

The Highways Agency keeps road users informed about current road conditions through www.highways.gov.uk, at 0300 123 5000 and through radio travel bulletins, electronic road signs and mobile platforms.

There are also feeds of live traffic updates and other information on Twitter to help people plan their journeys.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Ruth Neave and Gary Rogers.

A former ITV journalist who covered the Rikki Neave murder 20 years ago has revealed that a Cambridgeshire police officer demanded payment for tipping her off that Ruth Neave was to be arrested for murder.

09:26
Police have released CCTV images of man they wish to speak to about the incident.

A 15 year-old boy was approached by a man who made comments of a sexual nature towards him in the George Campbell Leisure Centre’s swimming pool changing rooms.

15:51
Ivars Mezals and Juris Valujevs were arrested in October last year in raids carried out as part of Operation Endeavour.

Two men have been found guilty of exploiting migrant workers as part of an illegal gangmaster operation in Fenland.

Neale-Wade enterprise challenge

Students at Neale-Wade Academy in March were given an insight into running their own business by taking part in an enterprise simulation delivered by The Skills Service.

Most read stories

E-edition