Let scrutiny take a look says Cabinet after it postpones decision on controversial Whittlesey allotment proposals

Cllr Pop Jolley (second right) chats to Cllr Simon King at the end of FDC Cabinet meeting Cllr Pop Jolley (second right) chats to Cllr Simon King at the end of FDC Cabinet meeting

Friday, April 25, 2014
3:49 PM

A plan which could have given Whittlesey Town Council upwards of £100,000 should allotments be sold has been put on hold.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Fenland District Council Cabinet voted unanimously to defer a decision on the controversial proposals following an intervention by Councillor Pop Jolley.

Cllr Jolley, the cabinet member for leisure and tourism, won support to refer the allotments issue to the overview and scrutiny committee.

“I think this should go to scrutiny for them to look at any precedent,” he said. “In cabinet we have been talking about members not knowing what is going on.

“This is the chance for Whittlesey Town Council members to go along and explain what has gone wrong in the past and feed back some recommendations.

“This opens it up for more people to look at it. We say overview and scrutiny is there- lets use it.”

Council leader Alan Melton said original details of the allotments issue had been marked for the confidential session but he had insisted it be an on open agenda.

The main issue is over a 99-year lease offered by Fenland District Council to Whittlesey Town Council in 2011, for allotments, but remains unsigned after a dispute over what might happen if the land is sold for housing.

The town council has asked for 15 per cent of the net proceeds of any sale of the 6.5 acres off New Road.

Officers said that reducing the possible net income to Fenland should the site be sold for housing “will further reduce” the district council’s anticipated capital receipts.

Fenland says it will only seek planning permission and disposal “if the market conditions are favourable”.

In 2011 cabinet was told that the town council had occupied the land – originally bought for housing - since 1981 and had invested £30,000 between 2009-11 to improve them.

When last valued in 2011 the site, if sold for housing, would be worth from £1million to £1.25million.

In 2011 cabinet decided that if the land was sold it would simply find an alternative.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Forgotten your password?

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Homes24
Jobs24
Drive24
LocalSearch24
MyDate24
MyPhotos24
FamilyNotices24
Weddingsite

Click here to read more of our digital publications
Book my advert Fenland Enterprise Buisness Awards Paper delivery enquiries Reader Holidays

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT