‘Lollipop’ ladies will stay after Cambridgeshire County Council agrees to find other ways of saving £171,000 a year

PUBLISHED: 13:24 12 January 2016 | UPDATED: 13:24 12 January 2016

Lollipop ladies (and men, of course) win the day in Cambridgeshire

Lollipop ladies (and men, of course) win the day in Cambridgeshire

Archant

A county council committee voted today to keep school crossing patrols – landing officers with the job of finding the £171,000 a year axing them would have saved.

The highways and community infrastructure committee agreed to keep the ‘lollipop ladies’ following a recommendation put forward by Conservative councillor Steve Criswell.

He was supported by Labour and Lib Dems and UKIP’s Peter Reeves also welcomed the proposals to withdraw school crossing patrols from the budget saving proposals.

Councillor Roger Hickford, the committee chairman, also welcomed proposals to retain the crossing patrols.

Last month the county was warned that 1,000 young people’s lives will be put at risk if an idea to cut funding for school crossing patrols is given the go ahead.

Parents launched a petition against budget slashing measures by Cambridgeshire County Council.

Naomi Church, a governor at St Mary’s Junior School in Ely, where the petition has started, said: “We are shocked at proposals to take away funding.

“We understand the county is under serious budget threats but cutting at the very basic level is wrong.

“The county council has a responsibility on a safeguarding level that includes getting children to and from school safely.”

2 comments

  • Float a really unpopular idea, then back pedal to show that you "listen" to residents, and whilst they are distracted get on with other cuts unnoticed?

    Report this comment

    Pathfinder

    Wednesday, January 13, 2016

  • It's a shame somebody - a political imbecile? - suggested doing this in the first place. I'm very relieved.

    Report this comment

    Geoffrey Woollard

    Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

More news stories

Ten years after an enforcement team set fire to John Gawthorp’s illegal ‘stable home’ at Bedlam Bridge, March, the site has acquired new owners who this time want to turn it into an aquaponics centre.

Yesterday, 16:13

The agent trying to secure consent for a £210,000 five bedroom house to be turned into a nine bedroom room house in multiple occupation (HMO) told Fenland planners he fails to see why potential noise is an issue.

Yesterday, 15:38

Two houses not built in accordance with the plans approved by Fenland Council can stay after officials concluded they will “not adversely harm the character and appearance of the area”.

Yesterday, 19:48

A Wisbech man has been sent for trial after denying the murder of a 35-year-old man from West Walton.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter