Lucky escape for March businesswoman after cigarette causes fire to break out in an upstairs bedroom

11:18 24 February 2014

Wimblington Road, March, fire. Crews at the scene of a blaze which broke out in a bedroom.

Wimblington Road, March, fire. Crews at the scene of a blaze which broke out in a bedroom.

Archant

A woman escaped from her home after a carelessly-discarded ­cigarette started a blaze.

Wimblington Road, March, fire. Crews at the scene of a blaze which broke out in a bedroom. Wimblington Road, March, fire. Crews at the scene of a blaze which broke out in a bedroom.

Sue Beer fled in her dressing gown after fire broke out in an upstairs bedroom of her family’s 1920s detached house in Wimblington Road, March.

Neighbours served Mrs Beer cups of tea before paramedics arrived to treat her for possible smoke inhalation.

Mrs Beer was in an upstairs bedroom when the fire broke out but the alarm was raised quickly and crews from Chatteris, March and Wisbech were soon on the scene.

Fire crews at the scene reported extensive damage to the bedroom and said the intensity of the heat had caused plaster to fall from a wall.

Wimblington Road, March, fire. Crews at the scene of a blaze which broke out in a bedroom.Wimblington Road, March, fire. Crews at the scene of a blaze which broke out in a bedroom.

However, their swift response soon brought the fire under control and it was put out before it spread to the rest of the house.

Police were called to help control traffic already disrupted by work to improve the footpath in Wimblington Road.

A fire service spokesman said it received the call at 10.24am. The crews from March, Wisbech and Chatteris were back at their stations by 1pm.

Station Commander Simon Newton said: “We would urge smokers to always ensure they properly extinguish their ­smoking materials – whether inside a property or out in the open.

“Never leave a smouldering cigarette around flammable materials and never leave a lit cigarette unattended.”

Mrs Beer, who runs Acre Attic collectables, in March, is a long-serving member of the Christmas Lights committee having been part of the team, that helped to re-form the group 14 years ago.

0 comments

Yesterday, 17:03
Estover Playing Field. Picture: TREVOR WATSON

Up to 120 homes could be built on Estover playing field, March, under a proposal to go before county councillors on Tuesday- with some of the sale proceeds going to fund sports facilities.

Yesterday, 15:34
Co-operative Food store, Chatteris.Picture: Steve Williams.

Chatteris Co-op is to close in February – with the loss of 57 jobs- and reopen as an Aldi supermarket.

Yesterday, 11:51
Wallaby found in March

Police officers thought they had ventured onto the camp of I’m a celebrity Get Me Out of Here yesterday (Tuesday) morning when they came across a stray wallaby on the outskirts of March.

Yesterday, 11:01
new Lady Fen habitat at Welney

A new purpose built wetland habitat has officially opened next to the Welney centre.

Most read stories

E-edition