Man treated for smoke inhalation after Leverington kitchen fire

09:28 30 April 2014

Archant

Two crews from Wisbech tackled a kitchen fire caused by an unattended chip pan in Leverington yesterday,

Firefighters were called to a home in Little Dowgate at 4.35pm.

All occupants were out of the home when the fire service arrived.

Positive pressure ventilation fans were used to clear smoke from the home and the fire was extinguished by 4.55pm.

Severe damage has been caused in the kitchen to the cooker and neighbouring cupboards, along with heavy smoke damage, but the rest of the property has suffered minimal damage.

An ambulance was called to assess a male suffering smoke inhalation.

Watch commander John Chelton said: “This fire started when a chip pan was left unattended as the resident became distracted with another task. The fire quickly spread but the residents did the correct thing to get out, stay out and dial 999.

“Chip pans containing large amounts of very hot oil can be very dangerous and we would urge residents to use alternative methods of cooking if possible. Whenever cooking, please make sure you do not get distracted and most importantly, ensure you have correctly fitted working smoke alarms in your property.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

More news stories

36 minutes ago
Beat This at March Library

A group of four children got together at the March library for a free lyric writing workshop with a professional artist last week.

Yesterday, 21:57
Ely Bypass. Rail bridge visualisation from south.

Funding and contractual delays could push completion of the £30 million Ely bypass back to 2018, says county council leader Steve Count.

Sunday, August 30, 2015
Cheque  being presented to the Shouldham ward. at Kings Lynn hospital. Pictured, from left, are ward clerk Nicki Ball, Gavin Caney, junior sister Ria Parker, Lucy Massen, Lindsey Rasberry and sister Kerry Craik.

A man whose dying wish was to create a legacy has had more than £20,000 raised for charity in his memory.

Sunday, August 30, 2015
Neale Wade Academy. Picture: Steve Williams.

A band made up of Neale-Wade Academy students and staff will perform a concert in aid of military charity Help for Heroes and the school’s music department.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition today E-edition