Man whose log cab style home burnt down by enforcement team seven years ago launches fresh protest outside council offices

11:34 06 May 2014

John Gawthorp outside Fenland District Council offices in March. Protesting over a planning inforcement issue. Picture: Steve Williams.

John Gawthorp outside Fenland District Council offices in March. Protesting over a planning inforcement issue. Picture: Steve Williams.

Archant

.A man whose log cabin style home was burnt down seven years in a row over planning permission today staged a one man protest outside Fenland Hall, March.

The home of John and Elaine Gawthorp which was destroyed and burnt by bailifs from the FDCThe home of John and Elaine Gawthorp which was destroyed and burnt by bailifs from the FDC

John Gawthorp insists he was verbally given planning permission for his timber building near Bedlam Bridge, on the outskirts of March.

However, Fenland District planners came down hard on him and, after a 15-month battle, demolished the stables in May 2007.

The matter went to county court in 2010 when Mr Gawthorp and his wife Elaine protested the £7,050 bill he received from the council for the demolition.

In court the council’s former planning chief said he knew nothing about advice given at the one-stop shop in Chatteris that Mr Gawthorp wouldn’t need planning permission for the stables.

The home of John and Elaine Gawthorp which was destroyed and burnt by bailifs from the FDCThe home of John and Elaine Gawthorp which was destroyed and burnt by bailifs from the FDC

Mr Gawthorp has always insisted he was given verbal consent.

He said: “This has ruined mine and my wife’s lives. They slung us out on the street, burnt our home, we lost thousands.

“We lived in the Green Welly Motel at Chatteris for 18 months before getting a bungalow from Roddons Housing Association.

“I won’t give up the fight until the council admits Mr Brown lied. I want compensation. We lost £100,000.

“We sold our home to set up the new place at Bedlam Bridge; I wouldn’t have done that if I thought I was doing something wrong.”

Mr Gawthorp lost his county court battle after District Judge Stuart Farquhar ruled that the council acted appropriately. The judge also told Mr Gawthorp to pay the council’s legal costs of £2,829.25.

The council declined to comment on Mr Gawthorp’s protest.

More news stories

Yesterday, 15:26

The mother of a Chatteris man whose son suffered life-changing injuries in a freak accident earlier this year has hailed the efforts of air ambulance paramedics who saved his life.

Yesterday, 13:44

Passers-by gasped with amazement as Christmas nearly fell by the wayside in the Fens today!

Yesterday, 17:02

Councillor James Palmer, leader of East Cambridgeshire District Council, has thrown his hat in the ring to become the new Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, with hopes to “improve infrastructure and provide high quality housing for all”.

Yesterday, 13:01

If you’re looking for a nine-hour post-Boxing-Day soul and Motown music marathon then March Braza Club is the place to be on December 27.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Show Job Lists

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up