Mother’s plea over crash deaths after inquest finds Sutton Bridge Portor sisters died in poorly-maintained car

15:08 11 August 2014

Jessica Portor.

Jessica Portor.

Archant

A bereaved mother has pleaded with drivers to look after their vehicles after an inquest heard two young sisters died when the poorly-maintained car they were in came off the road in Norfolk.

Tamzin Portor.Tamzin Portor.

Tamzin, 10, and Jessica Portor, seven, from Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire, were killed in the crash on December 27, 2012.

The girls, described as “little angels” by their family, were on their way for a post-Christmas cinema trip at the time.

Their father’s partner Marie Easter, 44, was driving when she swerved suddenly off the A47 at Walsoken, overturning into a ditch.

An inquest in King’s Lynn heard that Easter’s Ford Focus was poorly maintained with dangerously low tyre treads, uneven tyre pressures and a slow puncture.

It also heard evidence Jessica was not wearing a seatbelt.

Norfolk coroner Jacqueline Lake recorded a conclusion that the youngsters died of multiple injuries after the car overturned.

Outside, the girls’ mother, Lorraine Mason, said: “I just want to make people aware that if you’re driving a vehicle, you’re responsible for it and everybody in it.

“Don’t take somebody out without a seatbelt on, do check your tyres and if the tread or pressure is low, don’t drive it.

“I don’t want anybody to go through what I’m going through every day of my life.”

Easter admitted two charges of causing death by careless driving at Norwich Crown Court earlier this year and was given a 15-month jail term, suspended for two years.

Giving evidence, she insisted she had been forced to swerve to avoid an oncoming vehicle on the wrong side of the road.

“It was a red BMW with round lights, that’s all I can remember,” Easter added.

The car was never traced by police and witnesses did not see any oncoming vehicle, the inquest heard.

The road was straight and wide enough to allow for overtaking.

Asked about the condition of the car, Easter said the vehicle had been repaired on December 19 and she had been told it was safe to drive.

However, mechanics told the hearing that although the car had been booked in for repair, the appointment was missed.

Collision investigator Sgt Andy Hood said the defects could have seriously affected the car’s handling.

Mr Hood added: “It is possible the car lost traction and the driver was unable to regain control.”

Allan Portor, the girls’ father, was sitting in the front passenger seat.

He said he had not seen any oncoming car as he was checking messages on his phone but he believed Easter’s account.

Mr Portor added: “She suddenly shouted out ‘what the f-ing hell is he doing’ and I looked up and she was swerving.

“There was nothing there but there was no time to look around.

“I trust her and if she says there was a car there, that’s good enough for me.

“She loved those children like anything.”

Both he and Easter said that the girls had been wearing seatbelts.

Mr Portor suffered broken ribs in the crash. His son, Liam, then 12, suffered cuts and bruises.

Easter was also injured in the crash.

0 comments

Comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Cambs Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Cambs Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Cambs Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Ruth Neave and Gary Rogers.

A former ITV journalist who covered the Rikki Neave murder 20 years ago has revealed that a Cambridgeshire police officer demanded payment for tipping her off that Ruth Neave was to be arrested for murder.

09:26
Police have released CCTV images of man they wish to speak to about the incident.

A 15 year-old boy was approached by a man who made comments of a sexual nature towards him in the George Campbell Leisure Centre’s swimming pool changing rooms.

15:51
Ivars Mezals and Juris Valujevs were arrested in October last year in raids carried out as part of Operation Endeavour.

Two men have been found guilty of exploiting migrant workers as part of an illegal gangmaster operation in Fenland.

Neale-Wade enterprise challenge

Students at Neale-Wade Academy in March were given an insight into running their own business by taking part in an enterprise simulation delivered by The Skills Service.

Most read stories

E-edition