Motorists continue to defy mobile phone law as numbers caught in Cambridgeshire rise by 16 per cent

PUBLISHED: 09:45 06 March 2014 | UPDATED: 10:48 06 March 2014

Police launched a special month of operations to clamp down on mobile phone offences,

Police launched a special month of operations to clamp down on mobile phone offences,

Archant

The number of drivers in Cambridgeshire caught using their mobile phone rose 16 per cent last month compared to the same month in 2013.

Cambs Police revealed today that 321 drivers were caught last month compared to 282 in February of last year.

Sergeant Chris Huggins said: “Throughout February, traffic officers took part in the ‘Think’ road safety campaign to target mobile phone offences.

“A total of 321 drivers were caught and they will receive either points on their licence, a fine or may be dealt with through an education programme.”

He said the action last month was part of the Department for Transport’s Think! Campaign, to highlight the real problems we have on the roads.

“Driving while using a phone is part of the ‘fatal four’ driving offences, along with speeding, not wearing a seatbelt and drink or drug driving,” he said.

“It is disappointing people are still not taking notice of the advice we are giving and we will continue to enforce the law to ensure our county’s roads are safer.”

March’s ‘Think!’ campaign will focus on seatbelt offences.

One of the worst months last year for catching motorists using their mobile phones whilst driving was July when 448 drivers were caught.

0 comments

More news stories

Yesterday, 08:42

High Street, Chatteris, remains closed today following an early morning ram raid as thieves attempted to steal an ATM from the post office.

Yesterday, 10:25

A police officer is in court for the third day of his trial where he faces charges of grievous bodily harm.

Yesterday, 09:52

Police were called to three separate collisions in the Chatteris area yesterday (Tuesday 25).

Yesterday, 18:26

A woman has vowed she is not going away until she has had her money back from a memorial firm that closed without warning in March.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter