August 27 2014 Latest news:
Story by: JOHN ELWORTHY
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
A major police hunt is under way for an assailant who attacked and injured a 57 year old man with a knife in Wisbech.
Police confirmed the weapon used was between three and four inches long and the victim was attacked from behind.
“The weapon used went from the behind the victim’s bone down to the cheekbone,” said a police spokesman.
A passer by has described the moment she found a man staggering in the street after he had been slashed with a knife.
The woman, from Elm, said she was passing through the Victoria Road area of Wisbech yesterday when she spotted the victim.
“I happened to be driving past and saw the man staggering around,” she said. “He was holding tissue around his head.
“He had a wound from the back of his head to his chin. I don’t think he realised how bad it was.”
Andrew Veal, 28, a shop assistant at the nearby Shop 4U, said: “Everywhere has their troubles but nothing like this. I am really surprised because it’s normally quiet around here. It’s a friendly area where there is never any trouble.”
Zbigniew Schab, of Artillery Street, Wisbech, added: “I am very surprised that there is trouble around here. It is the first time I have seen any trouble and I have lived here six years. It’s normally really quiet here.”
The victim was discharged from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn on Tuesday (11) night following treatment. Police said they hoped to speak to him to get more information about what happened.
A spokesman said: “We are keeping an open mind as to where he may have obtained the injuries.
“We are treating this as an isolated incident and enquiries are ongoing.”
The victim was injured at around 10.30am on Tuesday 11. Armed officers were called to the area in the hunt for the attacker.
Part of the area was sealed off whilst the hunt for his assailant got under way.
A police spokesman confirmed the victim’s injuries were “not life threatening”.
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 101.