Police crackdown on drivers using phones

PUBLISHED: 09:23 26 January 2018

Police have been taking part in a crackdown against drivers using mobile phones at the wheel- with the aid of an unmarked detection van equipped with cameras.

Police have been taking part in a crackdown against drivers using mobile phones at the wheel- with the aid of an unmarked detection van equipped with cameras.

Archant

Police have been taking part in a crackdown against drivers using mobile phones at the wheel- with the aid of an unmarked detection van equipped with cameras.

Officers from Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire road policing unit are carrying out the operation as part of a week-long national initiative.

Inspector Chris Huggins said: “The unmarked detection van has proven to be a vital tool in targeting drivers in a range of vehicles who use a mobile phone illegally.

“Often members of the public will put their phone away when they see a marked police vehicle, but the knowledge of an unmarked van on patrol may hopefully deter a greater number of people from being irresponsible and using their phone behind the wheel.”

The van is equipped with front and side cameras designed to catch lorry, van and car drivers who are using mobile devices illegally.

In a similar operation last year the tri-force unit caught 2,047 people using phones while driving.

Sgt Andy Spencer, RPU operational support, said: “We understand how frustrating it is for the public who repeatedly see people using a phone while driving, potentially putting others at risk in their local community.

“Throughout this week of action, we are actively responding to responses we have had from the public on Twitter suggesting which areas they would like to see us patrol.”

The road policing unit asked members of the public where they would like to see a greater police presence with regard to mobile phone use while driving.

More news stories

Mayor James Palmer was accused of running “an old boys club” ollowing my revelation that a Tory county councillor and Cambridge graduate has been offered a £100,000 a year directorship at the combined authority.

Removed from his £8,500 a year cabinet post but back in the Tory fold after police decided it wasn’t a matter for them, Wisbech councillor Simon King is expected to answer allegations of falsifying expense claims at a conduct committee hearing in September.

An East Cambridgeshire man who was assaulted outside a Cambridge pub on Friday night has died in hospital.

Yesterday, 21:20

A Tory county councillor and former British diplomat is set to force a by election after only a year in office to take on a £100,000 directorship of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Cambs Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy