Around 300 tonnes of straw goes up in flames at Sixteen Foot Bank

20 September, 2018 - 15:13
Firefighters tackling a blaze between Manea and Chatteris involving around 300 tonnes of straw and wooden boxes. Picture: Twitter / @CambsFRS

Firefighters tackling a blaze between Manea and Chatteris involving around 300 tonnes of straw and wooden boxes. Picture: Twitter / @CambsFRS

Twitter / @CambsFRS

More than 20 firefighters tackled a blaze near Chatteris involving around 300 tonnes of baled straw on Wednesday.

Firefighters tackling a blaze between Manea and Chatteris involving around 300 tonnes of straw and wooden boxes. Picture: Twitter / @CambsFRSFirefighters tackling a blaze between Manea and Chatteris involving around 300 tonnes of straw and wooden boxes. Picture: Twitter / @CambsFRS

Crews from all around the region were called to the incident on September 19 at around 12.20pm at Sixteen Foot Bank.

It took firefighters almost seven hours to put out the blaze and crews returned throughout the night to ensure the fire didn’t spread due to the wind.

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue said: “Crews were called to a fire on Sixteen Foot Bank in Chatteris.

“Around 25 firefighters, including crews from Chatteris, March, Ely, Huntingdon, Stanground, Manea and Ramsey attended the incident.

Firefighters tackling a blaze between Manea and Chatteris involving around 300 tonnes of straw and wooden boxes. Picture: Twitter / @CambsFRSFirefighters tackling a blaze between Manea and Chatteris involving around 300 tonnes of straw and wooden boxes. Picture: Twitter / @CambsFRS

“Firefighters arrived to find a fire involving around 300 tonnes of bailed straw and wooden pallets and boxes. They extinguished the fire using hose reels and jets.

“Crews returned to their stations by 7.15pm. They returned regularly throughout the night to ensure the fire didn’t spread due to the high winds.

“The cause of the fire was accidental.”

More news stories

56 minutes ago

Smoke fills King’s Lynn town centre as windows smash out in a huge blaze that is ripping through a charity shop.

09:55

An Eastrea woman had to be treated by paramedics after breathing in ammonia that leaked from a fridge.

12:08

Firefighters are tackling a major blaze in the historic quarter of King’s Lynn town centre.

12:01

The front window of a March charity was smashed in a suspected burglary on Sunday afternoon (October 14).

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Cambs Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy