‘He had the biggest heart’ - tributes to A47 crash victim from Wisbech as inquest opens into deaths

PUBLISHED: 12:12 24 January 2018 | UPDATED: 12:12 24 January 2018

Riki Boughen was the passenger in a Ford Transit van which collided with a coach on the A47. Picture: Rachel Rostron

Riki Boughen was the passenger in a Ford Transit van which collided with a coach on the A47. Picture: Rachel Rostron

Archant

The sister of a 43-year-old man killed in a head on collision on the A47 said he loved life and lived it his way.

Rachel Rostron, 35, said her brother Riki Boughen was a much-loved son, brother, uncle, nephew, cousin and grandson.

“Every room he walked into he lit up,” she said. “He’d always make a joke out of everybody, he was a typical joker really.

“He enjoyed life and lived it exactly as he wanted to. He would give anyone anything he had to give. He had the biggest heart.”

“He was a qualified electrician, although he decided he loved his job as a digger driver much more and did that for many years. He just liked to be outside working.”

The tributes were paid to Mr Boughen on the same day the inquest opened into his death along with colleague James Cox.

Norfolk Coroner’s Court heard ground worker Mr Cox, 46, had been driving plant driver Mr Boughen in a Ford Transit van when it collided with a coach.

Both men lived at Prince Street in Wisbech.

Mr Boughen, the passenger in the van, died at the scene from a severe head injury, the court heard. Mr Cox sustained multiple injuries and was taken to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn, where he later died.

The accident happened on an unlit single-carriageway stretch of the road at Constitution Hill, around a mile east of the Hardwick Roundabout around 5.20pm on Wednesday, January 17.

The driver of the coach and a number of passengers on board were taken to hospital to be treated for bruises.

A full inquest into the deaths will be heard at King’s Lynn Magistrates Court on June 22, 2018.

More news stories

Yesterday, 18:59

A group of travellers who caused mayhem after they set up illegal encampments in Ely and Littleport have moved onto Wisbech.

Yesterday, 21:24

A scrutiny committee set up to examine the work and actions of Conservative mayor James Palmer and the Conservative controlled combined authority fell apart on Friday after it was boycotted by Conservative councillors.

Yesterday, 21:49

Peckover Primary School is sprucing up a neglected plot of land as part of the BBC series, Britain in Bloom.

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Detectives are appealing for the public’s help in identifying three men they would like to speak to in connection with a burglary in March.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Cambs Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy