Twenty is plenty - two councillors launch speeding campaign for Wisbech
PUBLISHED: 13:45 17 May 2014 | UPDATED: 13:45 17 May 2014
Two Wisbech councillors are spearheading a campaign called Twenty is Plenty in a bid to cut speeding motorists in residential areas in town.
Councillors Virginia and Michael Bucknor are preparing a bid to put to Wisbech Town Council asking for 20mph limits in the northern Waterless ward area of the town.
They hope that councillors in the southern wards will follow suit so that the whole area is covered with the 20mph restrictions in built up areas.
Cllr Bucknor said: “Waterlees is a densely populated area of more than 4,000 adults and more than 1,000 children, more than the whole of Chatteris for example, with a retirement home and a school which is expanding by 50% this year.
“Michael and I raised this issue of 20 mph in residential areas with Police Commissioner Sir Graham Bright when he came to Waterlees last year. He said he would give his support.
“We have been frustrated in not being able to take action on behalf of so many residents simply because of the funding that would have to be generated locally.
“However with the release of the Section 106 contribution by Tesco for Wisbech, this now becomes possible.”
She said that councillors they had spoken to reported that residents also wanted speed reductions in their wards.
“Its time for our residential roads to be equitably shared with all the users by setting an appropriate speed limit that protects the young and the vulnerable. The benefits are boundless,” she said.
Figures show that more than half of road deaths and serious injuries occur on roads with 30 mph limits, she added.
The proposal will be put to Wisbech Town Council’s annual meeting on Monday 19 and is supported by Cllrs David Patrick and Robert McLaren.
“Speeding vehicles has been raised at every one of our street surgeries since we were elected in 2011.
“Twenty’s Plenty is happening all around the country including parts of Cambridge,” she said.