Wilburton man covered his ears when told of sexual assault allegations, court hears

PUBLISHED: 15:59 11 October 2018 | UPDATED: 16:12 11 October 2018

A Wilburton man accused of sexually assaulting three schoolgirls covered his ears with his hands when police read out the allegations to him, Ipswich Crown Court has heard.

A Wilburton man accused of sexually assaulting three schoolgirls covered his ears with his hands when police read out the allegations to him, Ipswich Crown Court has heard.

Archant

A Wilburton man accused of sexually assaulting three schoolgirls covered his ears with his hands when police read out the allegations to him, a court has heard.

During police interviews surrounding allegations in the 1990s, Stephen Grant, of Stretham Road, denied being sexually attracted to children.

The 60-year-old told officers that being told about the allegations made by the alleged victims, who had been regular visitors to his house, had been “the biggest shock of his life”.

Ipswich Crown Court heard that when a police officer was outlining the allegations made by the girls to Grant he said: “Don’t read me any more. I don’t want to hear any more.”

In the interviews, which were read to the court today, the officer explained to Grant he needed to hear the allegations so he could give his side of the story but he had then covered his ears with his hands and was seen to be shaking.

“All I can say is it’s all rubbish,” said Grant.

He told police he hadn’t had touched any of the girls inappropriately and accused them of “telling a pack of lies”

Grant has denied 10 offences of indecent assault and three of indecency with a child in respect of one of the alleged victims between 1995 and 1999, when she was aged between eight and 12, and one offence of indecent assault in relation to another girl between 1989 and 1991 when she was six or seven.

Grant has also denied attempted rape, indecency with a child and two offences of indecent assault on a third alleged victim between 1990 and 1996 when she was aged between five and 10.

Today (Thursday October 11) Judge John Devaux directed the jury to find Grant not guilty of three offences of indecent assault in respect of one of the girls.

Stephen Rose, prosecuting, said Grant lived alone and young children living in the area near him in Bury St Edmunds knew his door was always open and treats were on offer.

The trial continues.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

More news stories

Yesterday, 15:00

Inhumane treatment of segregated prisoners, a breach of basic human rights and a 200 per cent increase in prisoner-on-staff violence are just three of the failings at HMP Whitemoor, according to a new report.

Yesterday, 12:29

March is to play host to the first England darts youth grand prix finals.

Yesterday, 10:05

Three people were treated for ‘minor injuries’ last night after a lorry rolled on top of a car on the A141 Isle of Ely Way between March and Chatteris.

Yesterday, 15:13

A person had to be cut free from their vehicle after it veered off the road and landed in a Guyhirn ditch during the early hours of this morning.

Most read stories

Show Job Lists

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Cambs Times weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy