October 31 2014 Latest news:
Kath Sansom, .
Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Wisbech Sea Cadets are now the proud owners of two new laptop computers and a printer to support their training programmes.
Cs Steve Hinks and Martin Calvert of Cambridgeshire Police made the donation at a presentation during the unit’s monthly divisions night.
The gifts were made possible through the points for petrol scheme.
The Sea Cadets is open to any young person between 12 and 18 years old and meet at their headquarters in Sandyland on Mondays and Thursdays from 7.15pm to 9.15.
The Junior section for 10 to 12 year olds meets on Thursdays.
The first Wisbech Sea Cadet Unit was formed in the early years of World War II at the rear of a North End property near the Old Market which was a seed and gardening shop.
The shop backed on to the River Nene near Orange Wharf making it ideally located for boatwork.
However, unit numbers escalated very quickly to around 60 and the unit was forced to move to the room above the current kitchen of St. Peter’s Church Hall. By 1942 the unit was able to buy and convert a warehouse in Falcon Road alongside the Canal where it remained until 1983 when Church Mews was developed.
The move to a larger building in Oil Mill Lane provided more space for the next nine years but its location and access was not ideal.
The subsequent development by ALDI’s enabled the unit to design its present purpose built facility.