NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: March Town boss Mattless hails the Hares after ‘most important win of the season’

PUBLISHED: 10:52 01 December 2017 | UPDATED: 10:52 01 December 2017

Ben Matthews hit a debut goal in March Town's 4-1 win over Team Bury.

Ben Matthews hit a debut goal in March Town's 4-1 win over Team Bury.


March Town manager Mel Mattless hailed his side for collecting their most important victory of the season.

The Hares snapped a four-game losing streak when triumphing 4-1 at Team Bury in the Thurlow Nunn League First Division last Saturday.

March hit the front when Ben Matthews grabbed his first goal for the club in his full debut - nodding in after a Michael Chow shot deflected into his path.

That was the only breakthrough of the first half, but Jack Brand doubled the lead early in the second period after a goalkeeping gaffe.

Brand was involved when they struck again as his cross was turned into his own net by a Team Bury defender before Casey Logan added the Hares’ fourth goal from the penalty spot after seeing his own shot handled.

Chow was dismissed for collecting a second caution with a quarter of an hour to go and the home side hit a late consolation.

“We really needed this result,” admitted Mattless. “There is no doubt it is our most important win of the season after being on a losing run.

“To score four goals on the road is very pleasing and we could have had a few more in all honesty.

“It was great to see Ben be such a threat in his first start. He and Jack seem to have clicked straight away and I’m delighted to see him get a goal so soon after joining us.”

Matthews is one of two players to arrive from Chatteris Town recently along with Gary Smith - and a third could be set to follow in the coming days.

Defender Aidan Hollis is expected to join his former Lilies team-mates at the GER.

The Hares are without a game this Saturday. Their next test is a December 9 visit to bottom side Needham Market Reserves.

March Town Reserves were involved in an abandoned fixture last Saturday.

Their game against Needingworth United in Kershaw Senior B Division of the Cambs League was halted by referee Roger Coxhead in the 89th minute following a mass altercation.

League spokesman Chris Abbott said: “The relevant county associations will firstly deal with any disciplinary matters arising from the game. The league will then conduct its own investigation.”

More news stories

One of most contentious planning applications of recent years – 95 homes off Estover Road, March – will be decided next week amidst furious public opposition.

Rarely can a political career have ended so ignominiously- for indeed that must be the inevitable outcome for Councillor Simon King.

The Prime Minister has ordered a review into three women’s health disasters – including vaginal mesh implants – the campaign begun three years ago by Cambs Times journalist Kath Sansom.


Detectives are continuing to appeal for anyone with information about the murder of Huntingdon man Sam Mechelewski to come forward.

Most read stories


Show Job Lists


Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter