July 28 2014 Latest news:
Story by: JAMES PODESTA, Reporter
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
WISBECH men’s first team were knocked off the top of the table after a miserable defeat, while March’s seconds overcame a spirited third team in the inter-club derby.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
THE men’s first team slipped to third in Premier B after they were crushed 7-1 by promotion rivals Ramgarhia.
Hosts Wisbech went into half time trailing 1-0 to a well-worked Ramgarhia penalty corner and they failed to handle their physical opponents after the break.
The visitors blew Wisbech away in the second half with a clinical attacking display which produced six goals.
Wisbech’s woes were compounded by James Mansfield’s harsh sending off and Charles Baxter’s yellow card which made a comeback impossible.
Mansfield returned to grab a consolation but Wisbech were left to reflect on a second successive defeat.
• WISBECH Ladies endured a frustrating 2-1 defeat away at Cambridge Nomads.
The Nomads took the lead from a short corner and went two goals ahead after the break. Hannah Strickle reduced the deficit with an expertly taken far post deflection.
Wisbech pushed on and thought they had equalised in a goalmouth scramble but the umpire controversially ruled the ball had not crossed the line.
• GOALS from Matt Goodwin and Lee Peck helped the men’s II to a hard-fought 2-0 win over their third team club rivals.
The thirds held firm until just before half-time when Goodwin broke the deadlock. Peck doubled their lead with a second-half strike from a penalty corner.
The men’s IV had a day to forget and were demolished 6-1 by Boston.
• A FANTASTIC goal from Polly Rosier sealed a fight-back win for the ladies’ II which keeps them second in the Cambridgeshire Premier League,
Wisbech soon fell behind but Laura Overland set up the returning Gilly Gunn for the equaliser before Rosier grabbed the winner.
March Town Hockey Club
• A YOUTHFUL third team gave a good account of themselves in a fierce inter-club clash with the seconds.
Adam Triggs’ hat-trick, Charlie Boughton’s brace and Rob Mitchell’s goal powered the seconds to a 6-3 win - but they did not have it all their own way.
Jamie Impey, Stu Fox and Peirs Kitson were on target for the thirds.
• DAN Shirley’s strike failed to stop the men’s first team from crashing to a heavy 5-1 defeat against Felixstowe - their ninth consecutive Division One loss.
• MARCH Ladies gave Emily Plumb the perfect send-off with a 2-0 win over Bourne Deeping III.
Plumb, who is moving to Kent, was given player of the match for a bold showing in her final appearance for March. Emily Wood and Libby Wallis scored the goals.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• AN own goal from a Havering defender was not enough to prevent the men’s first team from an agonising 2-1 loss against their high-flying opponents.
• NICK Bailey scored both goals as the men’s II beat Horncastle 2-1 but the men’s III were dismantled 7-1 by Leadenham.
• TOP marksman Adam Sisson netted to give the men’s IV a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw with Alford II.
• LONG Sutton Ladies were thumped 4-1 by Lowestoft while the ladies’ II were pipped 1-0 by Alford II.