December 5 2013 Latest news:
Story by: ROB SETCHELL, Reporter
Wednesday, October 31, 2012
FEN bragging rights sit firmly with Wisbech after they hammered Long Sutton 6-0 to make it seven wins on the bounce.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
KIWI star Brad Apted inspired the men’s first team to their second successive 6-0 win - but this time it was an emphatic derby triumph.
Fenland rivals Long Sutton were the latest side to be hammered by the table-toppers, who have won all seven of their Premier B clashes.
It took 15 minutes for hosts Wisbech to take the lead on Saturday, as the returning Ed Batt finished an unselfish pass from Sam Markillie.
Markillie went from provider to scorer moments later as he converted an Apted penalty corner to double his side’s lead.
Apted was soon on the scoresheet himself with a reverse-stick strike and a Gavin Johnstone goal gave Wisbech a 4-0 lead at the break.
Sutton’s attempted fightback was short-lived in the second period as Wisbech’s defenders snubbed attack after attack.
At the other end, Apted sealed a fine display with his second and Sam Blunt completed the rout with a late goal.
• A HAT-TRICK from Georgie Dunn ensured Wisbech Ladies returned to winning ways with a 5-0 thumping of Watton in Division One North.
Dunn struck three times in the second half to secure the points after Claire Apted and Lisa Williamson had also found the net.
The win leaves Wisbech fifth in the league.
• GARY Freear dived to deflect home a late winner for the men’s II, who powered to the top of the league by pipping title rivals Cambridge South.
The second string sit in pole position in Division Three North-West after Saturday’s 3-2 away win.
Matt Goodwin and Hugo Atkins gave Wisbech a 2-0 lead but Cambridge hit back with two goals in the second half. The hosts looked the more likely winners but, as they poured forward, Freear struck on the counter attack to snatch the points.
• THE men’s III beat City of Peterborough V 2-1 but the fourth team were thrashed 4-0 by Newmarket II.
March Town Hockey Club
• RICHARD West’s strike failed to stop the men’s first team from crashing to their seventh consecutive defeat - a 3-1 loss against Sudbury.
• THE men’s II find themselves below the men’s III in Division Four North-West after a 3-0 defeat to Fenland rivals Long Sutton II.
The third team did taste victory as a Charlie Boughton brace inspired a 2-1 win over City of Peterborough VII.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• A TOUGH weekend for the men’s first team was completed on Sunday as a 3-0 cup loss to Oxton compounded their derby defeat to Wisbech.
• AN Alex Canham hat-trick and an Ed White brace secured the men’s III a 5-2 win over Alford & District II.
• PLAYER of the match Leanne Woodhead scored four goals, including a first-half hat-trick, as the ladies’ first team beat Cambridge Nomads 6-2. Rebecca Kierman and Robyn Gribble were also on target.
• A BRAVE performance from player of the match Helen Worth could not stop the ladies’ II from falling to a 4-1 defeat against Lincoln II.