December 8 2013 Latest news:
Story by: ROB SETCHELL, Reporter
Wednesday, October 3, 2012
WISBECH men’s first team go top of the league but exit the cup, while a depleted March men’s firsts crumble to their third straight defeat.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• A MIXED weekend saw the men’s first team power to the top of the league on Saturday but crash out of the national cup on Sunday.
Wisbech sit top of Premier B after four goals from Sam Blunt and an Ed Batt strike gave them an impressive 5-2 victory over Havering.
But they fell to a 6-2 defeat against a dominant Cambridge University first team on Sunday, exiting the cup in the first round. Gavin Johnstone scored both of Wisbech’s goals from Brad Apted short corners.
• THE men’s II continued their 100 per cent league record by beating St Neots 2-0 while goals from Tim Atkins and Howard Atkins failed to prevent the thirds from crashing to a 9-2 loss against Newmarket.
• A HAT-TRICK from Phil Norman inspired the men’s IV to an entertaining 6-3 win over Ely III.
Al Hanaron bagged a brace while man of the match Jonathan Boyall was also on target.
• POLLY Rosier scored on her first team debut as Wisbech Ladies continued their unbeaten start with a 4-1 win against Ipswich III.
Emma Baker (2) and player of the match Lisa Williamson were also on target for second-placed Wisbech.
• THE ladies’ II were beaten 5-2 by Cambridge South but the thirds cruised to a 3-0 win over Ely III thanks to a brace from player of the match Zoe Forder and an Ellie Cobb strike.
March Town Hockey Club
• SKIPPER Adam Graham was sent off in the closing stages of the men’s first team’s 8-1 thrashing at Harpenden.
Bottom of the table March, who had just 10 players, were 5-1 down at the break but man of the match Matt Wallis was impressing with his attacking runs.
The hosts extended their lead in the second half and March finished with just nine on the pitch as Graham was harshly dismissed.
• RUTHLESS finishing from two-goal Bekki Bell helped March Ladies to a deserved 2-0 victory over St Neots III.
• BRACES from Charlie Boughton and James Fountain and a goal from Sam Shepherd helped the men’s II claim a thrilling point with a 5-5 draw against Spalding III.
• THE men’s III notched their first win of the season as a deflected Tony Manze effort and a Nick King strike gave them a 2-1 win over St Neots II.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• DANNY Sisson’s reverse stick strike was the only bright point for the men’s firsts who lost 6-1 against Norwich City on Saturday.
But the first team did triumph in the national cup on Sunday - thumping rivals Spalding 6-3.
• THE men’s II were beaten 3-1 by St Ives II while the thirds claimed a 2-0 win over Spalding V, courtesy of goals from Scott Ingram and Edmund White.
• A YOUNG men’s IV team fell to a 6-1 defeat against Spalding IV, with Adam Sisson grabbing the goal.
• THE newly-promoted ladies got their first win of the season as Becky Kierman and Leanne Woodhead gave them a 2-1 win over Watton.