April 25 2014 Latest news:
Story by: ROB SETCHELL, Reporter
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
WINNING run halted for Wisbech men’s first team while the ladies bag a draw - and March show spirit in defeat to high-flyers.
Wisbech Town Hockey Club
• PLAYER of the match Leanne Williamson helped Wisbech Ladies claim a spirited draw against high-flying Ipswich II.
The ladies, who sit fifth in Division One North, took the lead through Lisa Williamson at Harecroft Road on Saturday.
Ipswich hit back with a reverse stick strike and, although Wisbech pressed for a winner, they had to settle for a 1-1 draw.
• THE men’s first team host Ramgarhia in a top-of-the-table showdown tomorrow after their seven-game winning run was halted at Norwich City.
The Premier B leaders fell to a 4-2 defeat against their East Anglian rivals on Saturday, despite dominating much of the game.
Two missed penalty flicks, a disallowed goal and several spurned chances saw Wisbech draw a blank in the first half - and they went into the break 3-0 down.
Strikes from Sam Blunt and Gavin Johnstone sparked hope of a comeback but Norwich wrapped up the points with a goal on the counter attack.
• A STUNNING double hat-trick from hotshot Hugo Atkins inspired the men’s II to a 7-0 thrashing of Cambridge Nomads II.
Atkins smashed six goals and won the penalty flick for Wisbech’s seventh, which was converted by Matt Goodwin.
The seconds play the thirds in Wisbech’s inter-club derby tomorrow.
• THE men’s III extended their winning run to three games as goals from Matt Esser, Richard Claxton and Dom Stannard gave them a 3-0 win over St Neots.
• POLLY Rosier’s brace helped the ladies’ II gain ground on title rivals Rutland by beating them 3-0.
Lou Sandall was also on the scoresheet while Laura Overland was player of the match.
March Town Hockey Club
• THEY are winless and rooted to the bottom of Division One - but the men’s first team almost pulled off an upset against high-flying Ford.
Matt Wallis’ goal looked to have earned them a share of the spoils but Ford claimed a 2-1 victory with a second-half winner.
Despite the loss, captain Adam Graham praised his side’s “exceptional performance”.
• PLAYER of the match Becky Hammond grabbed a goal in March Ladies’ 5-0 win against Ely City III.
Libby Wallis (2), Karen Jarvis and Bekki Bell were also on target but the game came to a premature end when an Ely player suffered a serious eye injury 10 minutes from time.
• GOALS from Tony Manze and Ben Sole could not stop the men’s III from falling to a 3-2 defeat against Spalding III, while the seconds were thumped 8-2 by City of Peterborough VI.
Long Sutton Hockey Club
• DANNY Sisson hit a hat-trick and Gary Hales was on target but the men’s first team threw away a 4-0 lead in a 5-4 defeat to Harleston Magpies II.
• A FIRST half hat-trick from Nick Bailey set the men’s II on the way to a 4-2 derby victory over Spalding II.
Jeremy Watt was also on target as Sutton leap-frogged Spalding in the Division Four North-West table.