Perry pleased with Welsh Open semi final run

13:14 28 February 2014

Joe Perry.

Joe Perry.

Archant

Chatteris snooker star Joe Perry enjoyed an impressive run to the semi final of the Welsh Open.

Perry won five matches, including a stunning 5-1 triumph over Mark Selby, before losing 6-4 to Ding Junhui, who has picked up four tournament wins this season, in a hard fought contest on Saturday.

He beat Allan Taylor 4-3 in the 1st round, crushed Liu Chiang 4-0 in the 2nd round, beat home favourite Matthew Stevens 4-3 in the 3rd round, saw off Stuart Bingham 4-3 in the last 16 and thrashed 2008 champion Selby in the quarter-final.

Ronnie O’Sullivan won the tournament, sealing a 9-3 win over Ding with a 147 in the final frame.

Perry said: “I’m really pleased with how the week went. I played well in pretty much every match, which was necessary because there were some tough, close matches.

“I’m disappointed that I fell a bit short in the semi final but I still played well. I just missed a couple of key shots that swung the match his way.”

Perry was particularly pleased with his performance in his win over Selby.

He said: “Mark (Selby) is someone I have a lot of respect for. He has achieved so much in this game.

“We practice together now and then. I feel comfortable playing against him and have got the better of him a few times.”

Perry is in action in the Championship League later this week and then flies to China for the World Open before his attention turns to April’s World Championships.

0 comments

More news stories

Sainsbury's

Sainsbury’s bid to open a store in Whittlesey looked increasingly fragile tonight after their late efforts to overturn “onerous” planning conditions were rejected by Fenland District Council.

Kamel Bourgass

Two high-profile terrorist prisoners, including one held in Cambridgeshire, who were segregated for extended periods have won challenges at the UK’s highest court.

15:43
Maxey auction team

The new National Living Wage has dealt a hammer blow to a Wisbech auction house which is blaming the compulsory pay rise for a decision to close this autumn.

MP Steve Barclay with a letter from Eric Pickles last year that offered encouragement for the rail lik

Re-opening of the Wisbech to March rail line could cost from £70million to £110million says a new report out today which strengthens the case for the project.

Most read stories

Most commented stories

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition today E-edition