Miserable away form continues as depleted Wisbech crash to 48-15 defeat in Sudbury

PUBLISHED: 16:53 20 November 2012

Wisbech beat Sudbury in the Senior Vase last week.

Wisbech beat Sudbury in the Senior Vase last week.

Archant

AWAY day availability problems continued to haunt Wisbech Rugby Club on Saturday as they crashed to a 48-15 defeat to Sudbury.

Cliff Humphrey’s side cruised past the Suffolk outfit in a Senior Vase clash at fortress Harecroft Road last week - but it was a different story on Saturday.

Illness and unavailability left Wisbech with just 16 players and forced them to pair flanker Tom Martell and prop Charlie Roberts as stand-in centres.

Sudbury took advantage by racking up a 31-3 lead at half time, with Mark Laws’ penalty all the visitors could muster.

Wisbech restored some pride in the second half as Greg Brownlow, who returned from injury to impress in his first game of the season, crashed over.

Andy Heighton added a second try, which Laws converted, but Sudbury closed out a comfortable 48-15 win. The result leaves Wisbech sixth in London North-East Division Three.

Humphreys said: “You can’t fault the attitude and commitment of the 16 players who turned up to play rugby for Wisbech on Saturday.

“We are only an amateur club and play the game for enjoyment. I know that players do have other commitments but for some reason we do struggle to send teams away.

“My experience in the game tells me that there is no doubt that a fully committed Wisbech side are more than a match for any team in this league.”

Wisbech have been drawn away to Old Priorians in the third round of the Senior Vase on December 1. They host top of the table Beccles in the league on Saturday.

More news stories

Ten years after an enforcement team set fire to John Gawthorp’s illegal ‘stable home’ at Bedlam Bridge, March, the site has acquired new owners who this time want to turn it into an aquaponics centre.

Yesterday, 16:13

The agent trying to secure consent for a £210,000 five bedroom house to be turned into a nine bedroom room house in multiple occupation (HMO) told Fenland planners he fails to see why potential noise is an issue.

Yesterday, 15:38

Two houses not built in accordance with the plans approved by Fenland Council can stay after officials concluded they will “not adversely harm the character and appearance of the area”.

Yesterday, 19:48

A Wisbech man has been sent for trial after denying the murder of a 35-year-old man from West Walton.

Most read stories

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Cambs Times e-edition E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter