Capital new look

PUBLISHED: 12:15 16 March 2007 | UPDATED: 22:39 28 May 2010

The new shop front

The new shop front

LONDON came to Wisbech in 1956 with the installation of a magnificent new shop front and showrooms by Frances (London) Ltd of Market Place. The whole of the former shop front was removed and a new one put in place, which meant that from whatever direction

LONDON came to Wisbech in 1956 with the installation of a magnificent new shop front and showrooms by Frances (London) Ltd of Market Place.

The whole of the former shop front was removed and a new one put in place, which meant that from whatever direction shoppers approached the shop, there was a full view of the windows.

On the first floor three small rooms were made into one spacious room with an adjoining fitting room.

The showroom, with its Lincrusta ceiling, was painted in a delicate pastel shade of French beige. It was richly carpeted and had the latest neon tubular lighting.

The shop stocked several thousand garments, including women's gowns, mantles and costumes.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Cambs Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists