Here’s some questions for you, Geoff
PUBLISHED: 13:30 20 April 2007 | UPDATED: 22:44 28 May 2010
IN last weeks Cambs Times Councillor Geoff Harper challenged my views on the Conservative-controlled Fenland District Council. It comes as no surprise that he doesn t want any opposition in Fenland Hall. These are just some of the necessary questions that
IN last weeks Cambs Times Councillor Geoff Harper challenged my views on the Conservative-controlled Fenland District Council.
It comes as no surprise that he doesn't want any opposition in Fenland Hall. These are just some of the necessary questions that desperately need answering:
- Why did the Fenland Council revenue account lose £17million last year?
- Why does a band C property in Fenland pay nearly half as much again in council tax to the district as a similar property in neighbouring Huntingdonshire or East Cambs?
- Why do the top 10 members of council staff get paid over £1million between them?
- Why have the public been denied the democratic right to speak at meetings?
- Why does the council want to sell off land earmarked as public open space for housing?
- Why is the council so slow to spend (in the communities where it belongs) the £1.2million of Section 106 money that has finally been collected?
- Why was the three-bin system foisted on us without proper consultation on the size of the bins or frequency of summer emptying?
- Why does the council continue to refuse to publish councillors' e-mail addresses?
- How can Fenland Hall can be considered "open for business" with such woefully insufficient customer parking?
- Why did the council allow a private company to claim ownership of public open space in March when it had proof that it was council-owned?
- Why, despite Cllr Harper promising that the recording of the last council meeting would appear on the web uncut, has never been seen?
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.