Prison gift for museum

PUBLISHED: 12:16 17 November 2006 | UPDATED: 22:22 28 May 2010

The picture shows Mr Harrold (left), and museum curator Mr W Hanchant, with the prison door on the steps of the museum

The picture shows Mr Harrold (left), and museum curator Mr W Hanchant, with the prison door on the steps of the museum

THERE was an unusual Christmas present for Wisbech Museum in 1956 when Harry Harrold, of Colvile Road, arrived with a large barrow containing a heavy wooden door. The solid, iron-bound door was from the old Victoria Road prison and for 50 years had formed

THERE was an unusual Christmas present for Wisbech Museum in 1956 when Harry Harrold, of Colvile Road, arrived with a large barrow containing a heavy wooden door.

The solid, iron-bound door was from the old Victoria Road prison and for 50 years had formed part of Mr Harrold's packing shed at his orchard in Cox's Lane, South Brink, Wisbech.

Mr Harrold's father, Joseph, had bought several items from the prison when it was demolished.

The door had a foot-long iron bolt and a large lock. The outside was covered with sheet iron.

The prison was built in 1848 and closed in 1878 due to a reduction of crime in the area.

The governor's house was converted into a private residence known as 'Eaglehurst' Victoria Road.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Cambs Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists