Experience IWM Duxford as the sun goes down at August after-hours flying evening
- Credit: Gerry Weatherhead
Aviation enthusiasts will be able to experience flying at IWM Duxford after hours at a special August Bank Holiday weekend event.
The museum in Cambridgeshire will be hosting Flying Evenings: After Hours on Saturday, August 28.
Visitors will be able to watch a spectacular evening aerial display as the sun goes down over the historic airfield.
From camera-ready flypast moments to enjoying refreshments on a lazy Saturday summer’s evening, you will see IWM Duxford in a whole new light.
Among the aircraft scheduled to fly are Flying Fortress 'Sally B' , the last remaining airworthy B-17 in Europe, a couple of Spitfires, a Curtiss P-40F Warhawk, Spanish fighter Hispano HA-112 MIL Buchón, the de Havilland DH89 Dragon Rapide, and Hawker Hurricane P3717, a Battle of Britain veteran.
Gates open at 5pm and AirSpace and Hangar 4 will remain open during the event.
Tickets are on sale now via the Duxford website at www.iwm.org.uk/airshows/events
Last Wednesday's August 11 Flying Days: Showtime was designed for younger Duxford fans and their families.
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 3 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 4 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 5 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 6 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 7 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 8 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 9 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 10 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
While visitors could see reenactors on the ground and the NHS Spitfire up close on static display, there wasn't much flying to enjoy with only the North American Harvard, Yakovlev Yak-50, and Mudry CAP 10 taking to the skies.
Another Duxford flying day, Young Aviators, takes place at the IWM site on Thursday, August 19.