Person killed after being struck by train at Whittlesey station - trains disrupted between Ely, March and Peterborough
PUBLISHED: 11:28 11 October 2017 | UPDATED: 11:28 11 October 2017
A person has died this morning after they were struck by a train at Whittlesey station.
A British Transport Police spokesman said: “We were called to Whittlesey station at 9.54am today to reports that a person had been struck by a train.
“Officers and the ambulance service attended. Sadly the person died at the scene.
“Officers are working to identify them and inform their next of kin.
“The incident is not currently being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.”
A National Rail spokesman said: “Emergency services are currently dealing with an incident between Ely and Peterborough.
“Whilst the line remains closed, trains will remain disrupted between Ely, March and Peterborough.
“We anticipate disruption will continue until at least 12 noon.
“Greater Anglia customers can use road transport between Ely, March and Peterborough. They can also travel via Great Northern between Peterborough and London Kings Cross.”
The affected routes are:
• CrossCountry between Stansted Airport and Birmingham New Street
• East Midlands Trains between Norwich and Liverpool South Parkway
• Greater Anglia between Ipswich and Peterborough
Advice for CrossCountry customers:
• Road transport is operating between Cambridge, Ely, March and Peterborough.
• Tickets will be accepted on the following routes to help with your journey:
• East Midlands Trains on all reasonable routes
• Great Northern between London Kings Cross and Peterborough
• Greater Anglia on all reasonable routes
• Virgin Trains East Coast between London Kings Cross and Peterborough
• London Underground between London Liverpool Street and London Kings Cross
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Cambs Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.