Duck sell-out at Whittlesey produces the fastest time since records began - and this year organisers introduced a Golden Egg award
- Credit: Archant
A sell out ensured that 1,000 ducks took to the water at Whittlesey on the horn blast of last year’s race winners Holly and Page assisted by the mayor Councillor Julie Windle.
Since records began this was the fastest race with a winning time of 14 minutes 20 seconds for duck number 648 belonging to Sue Taylor who won £50.
Christine Buckler with Duck 789 scooped £25 followed by St John Ambulance representative Pauline Richards with duck 823 who won £10.
For the first time there was the Golden Egg award and then went to Cailin Passmore who actually bought the last ticket available and her number 893 was the winner. Organisers thanked Cambridgeshire Fire Service, St John Ambulance, RWT Photography for the commentary and annoys, Alan Hobbs of Street Pride for transportation of the ducks, Whittlesey Vets Ltd for the use of the car park and Andrew Roddham and his daughters Frankie and Alex for collecting the ducks at the finish line.
Trevor Windle and David Bailey provided video footage and photography.
And the Whitwell family got a special mention for their help with the ducks whilst Whitt the Duck was thanked for turning up.
Whittlesey town clerk Sue Piergianni co-ordinated the event.
- 1 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 2 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
- 3 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 4 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 5 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
- 6 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 7 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 8 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 9 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 10 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
The mayor’s charities benefitting were the Young Persons Counselling Service and The Alzheimer’s Society.