100 years young!
FAMILY, friends and the mayor of March, Councillor Jan French, turned out at one of the town s care homes on Tuesday to help celebrate a resident s 100th birthday. Mabel Pearson, of the Springfield Care Home in the Avenue, has lived in March her entire li
FAMILY, friends and the mayor of March, Councillor Jan French, turned out at one of the town's care homes on Tuesday to help celebrate a resident's 100th birthday.
Mabel Pearson, of the Springfield Care Home in the Avenue, has lived in March her entire life. She is daughter to Thomas and Kate Dyson and had a brother Herbert, and sister Rose, but they had all died by the time she was 22.
Mrs Pearson was married on Boxing Day 1927 to Stan Pearson and they set up home in Acre Road, now the Leather Shop, before moving to the then newly-built Green Street in 1955. They stayed in Green Street until Mr Pearson's death in 1980.
They had two sons. Eldest son Gordon died in 1989, and Terry lives in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Pearson has lived in care homes since 1991, first in a warden-controlled flat at Upwell Park before moving to Springfield in 2004.
Son Terry said: "Mentally she is very strong with a remarkable memory. One of her earliest memories is, at the age of eight, watching troops marching through the town on their way to the Western Front.
- 1 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 2 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 3 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept