17 suspected illegal immigrants found in lorry following accident
- Credit: Archant
A LORRY involved in an accident in Cambridgeshire was found to contain a number of suspected illegal immigrants.
Cambridgeshire Police were called to a report of an accident on the A1 at Buckden at about 14.40 GMT on Friday.
Seventeen men discovered in the back of the lorry were taken into custody.
They have since been transferred to UK Border Agency officers.
An agency spokesman said nine were from Syria, six from Iran, one from Afghanistan and one from Iraq.
You may also want to watch:
He added: “When suspected illegal immigrants found on lorries are arrested by police, we respond quickly.
“We work closely with police to tackle illegal immigration. Where someone is found to have no legal right to remain in the country.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government