27 suspected illegal immigrants found on-board lorry on A1
- Credit: Archant
Twenty-seven suspected illegal immigrants were found on-board a lorry which was stopped earlier today on the A1 northbound near to the junction with the B1081.
Police received information from Hertfordshire police this morning of about 30 possible immigrants in the back of a French lorry, travelling north on the M11.
A total of 27 people have been arrested for immigration offences and are being processed at Thorpe Wood Police Station and King’s Lynn Police Investigation Centre.
This includes the driver of the lorry, a 54-year-old man from Dover, arrested on suspicion of assisting unlawful entry to the UK.
Five of those detained have been taken to Peterborough City Hospital believed to be suffering dehydration – none are believed to be seriously ill.
You may also want to watch:
Police are establishing the nationality and age of all those detained and liaising with the Immigration Enforcement Service.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend