50 firefighters tackling blaze at wood yard in Wisbech - neighbours being evacuated
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have been evacuated from homes in part of Wisbech today following a major fire at a nearby wood yard.
Fire fighters from across the area – a crew from Long Sutton arrived moments ago – to tackle the blaze.
Black smoke has been seen gushing into the air from up to 15 miles away.
No one is thought to have been hurt but crowd control has been an issue for police as they cleared the approaches to Brigstock Road for fire fighters to get through.
Photos are emerging of fire fighters tackling the blaze from different directions with some using the garden of a nearby house to douse water onto the flames.
You may also want to watch:
The premises are thought to be used by a local company for manufacturing sheds and eye witnesses have spoken of the ‘popping’ sound of timber catching alight.
It is too early to say what caused the blaze.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
Cambridgeshire Fire & Rescue Service reported moments ago that “around 50 firefighters are currently tackling a fire involving a building on Brigstock Road in Wisbech.
“There are lots of emergency service vehicles around the area, so please avoid if possible.”
The factory belongs to Shire who has been producing garden buildings since 1981.
Originally the company produced yachts but later switched production to garden buildings.
On their website they say how they have consistently expanded over the years “skills have been passed on and our factories and warehouses now occupy some 20 acres. “We have invested in the best equipment and have facilities that include a planing mill, self-contained joinery production, undercover timber store and large warehouses that can hold some 20,000 buildings in stock”.