A big congratulations
EMPLOYEES at Johnson (Engineering) Ltd were given a pat on the back by the MP for the Isle of Ely when he visited the March factory in 1967. Sir Harry Legge-Bourke visited the Elliott Road works to congratulate the Johnson/Catchpole organisation, then the
EMPLOYEES at Johnson (Engineering) Ltd were given a pat on the back by the MP for the Isle of Ely when he visited the March factory in 1967.
Sir Harry Legge-Bourke visited the Elliott Road works to congratulate the Johnson/Catchpole organisation, then the world's largest root harvesting manufacturers, on its export achievements.
His visit was part of a new arrangement by the Prime Minister whereby firms making successful export efforts were congratulated by MPs on behalf of the Board of Trade. He was pictured taking a keen interest in the work of the drawing office.
Johnson was also celebrating its 25th year of business in 1967 and had been exporting since the end of the Second World War when it sent potato harvesters to France to cope with the harvest.
You may also want to watch:
The firm had designed harvesters to take over from the hand picking of Jersey potatoes and had captured most of the market for machines in New Zealand. It was successfully exporting to more than 30 countries.
Sir Harry told the workers: "I have come to give you a pat on the back. You have done a hell of a good job for the country and I want to congratulate you very warmly indeed.
- 1 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 2 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 3 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 6 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 7 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 8 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 9 Chief honours those who went 'over and beyond' to protect public
- 10 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police