A Cilla Black fan from Fenland gets more than 11,000 Facebook likes to get her song to Christmas Number 1
- Credit: Archant
A Cilla Black fan from the Fens has started a drive to get one of her songs to the coveted Christmas number one spot with a campaign that has received more than 11,000 likes on Facebook.
The Cilla for Christmas number one Facebook page was started by 35 year old carer Gareth Wells who started it as his way of paying tribute to the Cavern Club’s former cloak room girl.
He hopes the Blind date and Surprise Surprise star’s record can beat the X Factor single, which traditionally gets the number one spot.
Gareth of Wimblington said: ““I didn’t think it would get much support but within the first five days it had more than 10,000 likes which is unbelievable.
“A lot of people, especially my generation, remember Cilla for her TV career, but she also had an amazing singing career before that.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m hoping to create pressure for a double sided single with You’re My World on one side and Love of the Loved on the other.”
The Very Best of Cilla Black topped the album charts the day after her funeral but Gareth says that getting the coveted Christmas number one would be the ultimate honour for the star.
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 8 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
The pop music fan who used to work at March Tesco and James Graven Garage at Chatteris,said: “Her singing talent is incredible and I just don’t think we hear it enough. It would be the ultimate honour to her to get her Christmas number one - it’s the one that all of the singers want.”
“I’m trying to get other celebrities on board and so far have been liked by Sheridan Smith, Noel Edmonds, Mike Stock from Stock, Aitken and Waterman, Rusty Lee and people from Goggle Box.”
As part of the campaign, Gareth is petitioning record company Parlophone to release a physical single in the run up to Christmas, with proceeds being donated to charity.
He said:: “A lot of Cilla’s fans won’t be using the internet to download or stream her music - so I think success will depend on having an actual CD in the shops.”
To lend your support to the campaign join it on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cillaforno1.