A1101 Welney Wash flood signs were in place on Monday... when the road was completely dry
- Credit: Archant
I READ your report about the recent meeting pertaining to the problems of Welney Causeway.
It may interest you to learn that despite observing numerous vehicles (including small cars) coming through Welney successfully last Thursday, the warning and closure signs were all still in place on Monday.
We actually decided to drive through from Welney towards Ely on Monday morning to find the road completely dry. And yet drivers were still being advised to take the extremely long detour.
This is not the first time that the Environment Agency has left signs and warnings in place unnecessarily. I have complained but don’t anticipate much success!
It is annoying enough to have to put up with this flooding – which could, I understand, be mitigated if only the agency bothered to keep silt levels down around various gates.
But to be made to drive miles and miles just because the agency is either too stupid or lazy to update the signs in a timely fashion is simply appalling.
My heart goes out particularly to the proprietor of The Lamb & Flag. Not only has he lost an incredible amount of income due to the flooding, the agency is now costing him money unnecessarily as I imagine many diners were put off using The Lamb & Flag over Easter due to the warnings/road closure.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
I wonder how he will feel when he finds out?