A1101 Welney Wash flood signs were in place on Monday... when the road was completely dry
- Credit: Archant
I READ your report about the recent meeting pertaining to the problems of Welney Causeway.
It may interest you to learn that despite observing numerous vehicles (including small cars) coming through Welney successfully last Thursday, the warning and closure signs were all still in place on Monday.
We actually decided to drive through from Welney towards Ely on Monday morning to find the road completely dry. And yet drivers were still being advised to take the extremely long detour.
This is not the first time that the Environment Agency has left signs and warnings in place unnecessarily. I have complained but don’t anticipate much success!
It is annoying enough to have to put up with this flooding – which could, I understand, be mitigated if only the agency bothered to keep silt levels down around various gates.
But to be made to drive miles and miles just because the agency is either too stupid or lazy to update the signs in a timely fashion is simply appalling.
My heart goes out particularly to the proprietor of The Lamb & Flag. Not only has he lost an incredible amount of income due to the flooding, the agency is now costing him money unnecessarily as I imagine many diners were put off using The Lamb & Flag over Easter due to the warnings/road closure.
- 1 'Giving a child the chance to be a child lifts my heart’ says foster carer
- 2 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 3 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
- 4 Recap: Wire damage disrupts Hitchin and Peterborough trains
- 5 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 6 Recap: Thameslink passengers urged to delay travel due to 'incidents'
- 7 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 8 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 9 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 10 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
I wonder how he will feel when he finds out?